Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Tutorials/Articles/Reviews
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Tutorials/Articles/Reviews Post a Tutorial/Article/Review of a Photographic item here.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:47 AM

Default How to Make a Camera Rain Coat

I have been looking for some kind of protection from rain for my cameras and all the products out there have pros and cons; bulky, expensive, etc. I figure that it is seldom that I need to protect from rain but when I need it, I need it.

So, I started exploring other options and found a site that described how to make one out of a white kitchen garbage bag.

The following photos and descriptions show you how to make a simple and effective rain coat for your camera and lens. It is cheap and most of all, it friggin' works!

Step 1 - start with a 22L Glad Kitchen Catcher garbage bag.

Step 2 - place your lens half way across the edge and middle of the bag, where the bag is closed (sealed end). Using a permanent marker, draw an outline around the edge of the lens.

Step 3 - You should end up with a semi-circle. You now cut along the inside edge of the semi-circle that you have drawn. The idea here is to ensure you have a snug fit over the lens.

Step 4 - Slide the bag over camera and lens. With lens hood off, carefully pull the bag over the end of the lens. Don't pull too far. Fasten on the lens hood to the lens so that it is over the bag. This provides a tight seal and fastens the lens hood and bag to the lens.

Step 5 - Remove the rubber eye cup. It should slide up and off the viewfinder eyepiece. Now pull the bag over the camera but not too snug, you want to leave some room for your hands to work the focusing or zoom rings. If the lens is a push-pull lens, be sure to extend the lens all the way for this step. With the permanent marker and bag pulled over the eyepiece, trace the outline of the outside edge of the viewfinder.

Step 6 - This obviously is not going to work.

Step 7 - You need to cut out the square you have drawn with the marker and THEN place the rubber eye cup back over the viewfinder while tucking the bag between the two for another tight seal.

Step 8 - There is no step 8 because you are done.

The bag when not in use folds up and fits anywhere.

Now this is not the most durable rain coat for a camera but it is the cheapest and it is easy to make. One will last you all day and when you are done, toss it if it is torn. Make a bunch of the them and store them in your bag to share with friends.

Fred
Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I cut the corner off of a large garbage bag so a spare lens hood would barely fit through the hole. A rubber band seals bag to hood. Duct tape would be even better. The bag is big enough to drape over my head. The bag is still good after many years of occasional use. Fred's solution is more elegant, and doesn't require one to carry a dedicated lens hood. The idea is an old one that resurfaces from time to time in photo magazines and forums.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Chimpzilla

This is excellent. Although I rarely shoot in inclement weather, I can see this being 'hella-handy' for shooting all the super models around the pool, beach, and showers. hahaha

You should post this on instructables.com.

Thanks Fred!
- Arthur C. Clark
Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM
BER

Ah ha! So that's why the box of garbage bags is nearly empty!!
I better add them to the shopping list, lol!