Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > The Business of Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

The Business of Photography Any thing that has to do with the business of Photography.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Default Selling prints

I have decide to take Todd's advice, and making a few small prints to try to sell around the town. I have pick three different images, as to try to please a broad section of the hopefully buying public. I have also posted them on this thread for a bit of feed back, as in good/bad, use/don't, change/keep etc.. My intend of these images are to give people a slightly more artistic image of the area. I have done a bit of research on the images being sold around here, and they all look the some to me, flat and boring, with no emotion, or feeling. But maybe that is what sells…
I am also wondering if I should sell them as limited additions. I was think if so I may do 500, don't know why just sounds good I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BaycoloursHDRweb.jpg (82.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg ReedsFDRWeb.jpg (94.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg perfectO'clifdenweb.jpg (66.6 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by pathography; 11-13-2009 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

The images look good. Perhaps businesses like restaurants and motels that don't need wall spacd for their own displays could hang your work, and possibly sell them at a markup like a gallery. Unfortunately, this will require an outlay from you. However, any prints you might be saving for next year's tourist season might as well be on display as stored away.

As for limited editions, they may be mostly a marketing gimmick that galleries use to appeal to snobbish customers. It was also realistic for someone like Weston when printing and mounting a large run of prints or portfolios. Even with the help of one or two sons, this could tie up his darkroom for a long time. Now an artist can farm out production with consistant quality and unlimited quantity without any more individual attention beyond signing and numbering the prints. Editions of hundreds or thousands require little effort from the artist, and therefore mean little. Small editions may preclude future printing of successful images.