Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > The Business of Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

The Business of Photography Any thing that has to do with the business of Photography.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:41 AM

Default Business Card (roughdraft)

I know that it is something that I need to do, quite a few people are asking for one. And I am the type of person that doesn't like to do things by the book. I like to have my own flare about what I am doing. And I would like this to stand out so people will be interested in pick it up.So I am just wonder what people would think of this...
If you want to comment please don't pull any punches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cardagain.jpg (120.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Because you shoot much more than flowers and skulls, I'm undecided on having those images on the card. Whatever is on the card is what people will associate with you. So that's totally up to you.
What I would change is the exact location of the info on the top of the card. I'd put it a little to the right because it won't conflict with the flower then. I think centering it within the open space will work better than centering it on the card itself.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-30-2009, 01:47 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I agree with Bethe. Also, if print is superimposed over the graphics at the top, it should also be so at the bottom. A vertical format may be different, but is it better? Horizontal format permits larger print, and small italic print can be difficult to read. A better way to catch one's eye is to have a simple and strong graphic that intrigues one at a distant glance. I make two cards. One has only name and contact information. So far I haven't even mentioned on it that I do photography. That one, and a trifold brochure, is usually available wherever I display photos. The other is handed out to select people. It uses cheap clip art, although a personalized photo would be better. Here is the front and back:
Attached Images
File Type: gif CardX04.gif (32.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Our business cards are very simple. Barbara has her name on hers and I have my name on mine. Simple...

FRED SCHAAD
PHOTOGRAPHY

Phone Number
URL website address
e-Mail address

That's it!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Supreme Commander

Send a message via AIM to Todd

Simplistic is usually the best. If you must use your photography on your cards, consider a two sided business card. Front having your logo and info and the other with your image(s) . Most printing companies do two sided. One thing I would make sure you do is get them PROFESSIONALLY printed and dont just print them yourself! Business cards say alot!
My Flickr Page
www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddshaak/.com
------------------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Albert Einstein

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - - Norman Vincent Peale
Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM

Thanks, that's why it was a rough draft. I really didn't know what to do. I know that simple is better. I think that I should include an image I really don't know why, just have a gut feeling about it. I do think that I will go vertical because I know that that's the way that the cards sit in my wallet so my name would be sitting showing out of the top- Thanks again for the advice. If I come up with any other ideas I am sure I will post a draft for inspection...
Then I have to get a website together as well. Hopefully it will all pay off in the end. If it gets me out of my kitchen work I will be happy.

Last edited by pathography; 07-30-2009 at 03:18 PM..
Old 07-30-2009, 09:03 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJazzyone - Todd View Post
. . . One thing I would make sure you do is get them PROFESSIONALLY printed and dont just print them yourself! Business cards say alot!
For once I disagree with Todd. Usually when people acquire my cards, they have access to my photographs. The cards are merely a convenience, not an example of salesmanship. For someone in an upscale business of photography, professional cards are appropriate. Of course, such a photographer should be able to produce their own cards of professional quality. Us amateurs in the sticks don't need such glitz.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Senior Member & Donator

Send a message via AIM to BillB

Just another point --

If you have your own domain name, use it for your email address. Don't put "email Pat@yahoo.com" You don't want to advertise for yahoo or aol or google or anyone else, you want people to remember you. So put "email Pat@PatrickHowardStudios.com" If you don't have your own domain name and don't want one, at least set up an email like PatHowardStudios@gmail.com

http://billbarberphoto.com

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 AM

I did that about a year ago Bill. I just didn't want to post it on the internet yet, as it is set up, but inactive for the moment. I am also ion the process of getting my website up and going. Living in Europe I will probably have a .ie/.eu
I know that everyone thinks that are the only one with "that" name. But I have found another Photographer Patrick Howard living in Florida. I'd think its safe to say that we are no threat the each other. Except in the world of interweb names...