Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > The Business of Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

The Business of Photography Any thing that has to do with the business of Photography.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 AM

Angry The UK the Digital Economy Bill : what's yours is ours

In the UK, lawmakers are about to pass the Digital Economy Bill--a bill that effectively opens up most of images posted on the web to free commercial use in the UK. So, while we have copyright protection in the US, Canada and many other countries, we won't be protected from having our photos stolen (oops, I mean used legally and free of charge) by businesses in the UK, unless we plaster our name and contact information across the front of every photo we post online. It's an interesting, and rather disheartening read: UK Gov nationalises orphans and bans non-consensual photography in public. At the bottom of the article is an interesting discussion about the new rules governing photographing people in public in the UK. Makes me wonder how the average person perceives photographers, especially professional photogs.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

The UK has been becoming more anti-photographer, it seems. There have been a number of incidents where photographers were told not to photograph completely public events. There was even a recent rally at Trafalgar Square (I think that was where it was) trying to show that photographers are paying attention and that they aren't the bad guys. Guess it didn't make enough of an impression.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Not only is Big Brother watching, he is acting. THAT is really scary, especially in a country that once led the World in human rights. However, there have been precedents. In my lifetime the USA sent Model 1873 Springfield rifles to England to arm the home guard. While the Springfield was effective against targets that couldn't shoot back, it wasn't good enough to save George Armstrong Custer from native Americans armed mostly with bows, arrows, and spears. It certainly wasn't good enough to compete with German Model 1898 Mausers in the 1940s. Nor were most stalwart Englishmen proficient with firearms: the Government had made the ownershop of many guns difficult. One doesn't learn marksmanship from books any more than learning how to compete in the Olympics from watching them on TV. Well over two hundred years ago Americans showed England that men who had used firearms over most of their lives were better at it than even well-trained and organized professional soldiers.

I only read a bit of the Digital Economy Bill: I don't understand Chinese, either. Probably most of the people who are responsible for enacting the bill rely on someone else's interpretation. Worse yet, like America's congress, they may do as as William S. Gilbert wrote over 130 years ago, "I always voted at my party's call, and I never thought of thinking for myself at all."
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Supreme Commander

Send a message via AIM to Todd

Yowzers!!! If its happening there........whats to come here?
My Flickr Page
www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddshaak/.com
------------------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Albert Einstein

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - - Norman Vincent Peale