Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Digital Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 12-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Film scanner

Let's face it digital plays an important part in photograph even if your still a film nut. Thus my problem is that I do not print color photographs. I do all my own E6 and certainly should do all my black and white.

I can process my own color negatives but I have no interest in doing my own color printing.

But since I had some film lost I am rethinking how to have my color film processed and printed. The key for me is the quality of the scanning and printing.

So my search is to first find the best possible film scanner. I do have a budget of $1,000 so I am hoping to be able to find a film scanner that will satisfy my needs. Of course I will habe to find a printer but I first want to settle on a scanner.

My current scanner is a 15 year old Epson flat bed. It was top rated at the time but it was slow and I was never happy with the results. It was just a pain to use because of the time it took to scan and I was not excited about the software.

You might ask why I don't just do the wet printing. I have a pretty good answer. I'm not very good at it. I am extremely very good with black and white but just never gave the effort for the color printing. What can I say but that I never put the time into color printing.

Currently it is costing me around $19 to have a 36 exposure roll of color film process and printed. In addition the lab doing the work met my standards that I liked. Im not sure if in the end i will save money but what i really want is a finished product that meets my expectations.

The goal is to enjoy shooting color film and to prevent loss of film going through the mail. If that means adopting digital into the process then I'm all for it.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:32 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I have an Epson V700 which is fine for scanning 4x5 negatives, but inadequate for 35mm negatives. Probably scanning medium format on it would not be good for quality printing, but likely fine for posting online. It is indeed slow. Otherwise, I have little experience in scanning negatives. Experiments in using a 24mb DSLR and a slide copier for 35mm suggest limitations for scanning that way. Perhaps one of the newer higher resolution DSLRs and a good macro lens would do a decent job. It's up to each individual to decide what is good enough or poor.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:03 AM

I have done some fast research today. Not very promising for what I am looking for. The two best flatness are Canon and Epson. However they are slow and just not at the quality I'm look for. So anything under $1,000 will not fit my needs.

So I'm at a cross road. I still need to update my pc. I'm not sure I want to invest in a higher quality scanner. Thus I may have to live with lower standards.