Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > General Photography Discussions
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 PM

Default A free day to photograph!

Yes a day with no obligations. Well I will drop the boat off at 8 am to be winterized. Yes I'm getting lazy.

But a full day to do my second love. Perfect weather for the day. Overcast with some rain. This beats a sunny day anytime. So I have planned a big road trip to no where special. I told my wife pack an overnight bag and off we go.

The leaves are in their prime in the lowlands. We don't have a lot of colors on top of the mountain. In addition waterfalls are in their prime. I'm fact all day will be in the prime.

I thinking about heading to Woolrich, Pa maybe. About a 2 and a half hour trip with plenty to photograph in between. Plus I get to shop at the Woolrich store. Or maybe a drive to South Western Pa. Who knows where we will end up. I was even thinking the Great Valley in New York.

I have packed a log of film and will use four cameras. I will be shooting some Velvia and Ecktachrome E 6. Another camera will be loaded with Tri x and Across 100. Another camera will be loaded with some nice Kodak Portra. Yes I will be shooting with my DSLR too. And I will take along my Yashica loaded with 120 Portra. So I guess that is 5 cameras.

Just looking forward to the day and spending it with my wife.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:39 PM

I had some fun this day. Also I hit the first snow snow of the year, well second I forgot we had snow two weekends back. However that day I was following plow trucks at 5 am pulling my bass boat to a tournament.

In any event I was able to find some cool fall colors in the trees. It really hasn't been a great year here on the mountains in Western Pa. We made a stop at one of our ten covered bridges. I did spend a lot of time in the forest finding many interesting subjects. You know the basic stuff, trees, ferns and rocks. No wildlife this trip.

It was a great day to spend with my wife though she looks forward to where we will stop for lunch more than photographs.

Other interesting subjects included barns, streams, tree covered roads, different shades of green in the fields and many more.

The day was overcast all day and it worked for what I wanted. Just remember to bring a tripod on days like these.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

It's been too long since I've taken a day just for photography, despite the fall leaves this year being the best in many years. Two days ago I did get up early for a sunrise to satisfy a camera club assignment. That should be reshot, weather cooperating. Retirement can keep someone busier than during the working years!

I've contracted to have a garage built for storage of many years accumulation of I don't really know what. This month or next the preparation of the ground for the garage will occupy me for perhaps few days. Then comes the task of finally cleaning out the farm house where my father was born in 1894. That's like a treasure hunt with a lot of physical labor.

Over several decades I've bought, used, and stored away several 4x5 and a few larger cameras with a variety of old and somewhat new lenses. A darkroom for film would be nice, but digital printing suits me much better. 4x5 negatives scan well enough on a fairly modest flatbed scanner. Scanning 120 film for medium size prints might also work, but 35mm requires something better. I've tinkered with using a digital camera and a slide/film adaptor for a macro lens, but am not satisfied with it yet. Scanning 35mm on a flatbed scanner yields files that are too small, for decent prints, and they take a long scanning time. Using a digital camera is much faster, but not a lot better. As, so much to do, and at 86, perhaps not much time.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 PM

I only wish I am as young as you are at 86. I have only cleaned out one house. That was my parents. All that really happened is that everything moved from that house to my house, barn and outbuildings. We had to move everything fast as the house was soon demolished.

I'm looking forward to taking more days for photography in the winter. I almost lost my wife and spending more time with her is a priority. While she doesn't get involved in the photography she likes going with me.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 PM

I had another day to go out and photograph. Today I took my lovely wife to the Packsaddle Covered Bridge. This was my first trip to the bridge. I found it strange that I never took the time to visit, it is only a 45 min drive.

This place screams MF or LF, not the 35 I came with.

The bridge is in great shape and the stone supports are fantastic. However the treat is the waterfall under the bridge. There is a flat rock ledge that gives you a great view to photograph from.

Today I had my Nikon F100 loaded with Velvia 50. I came prepared and used a 2 stop ND filter along with a tripod and release. I was able to take several difference views of the bridge and falls.

My goal was to get that soft cloud effect on the water. I don't remember the settings but I used several slow shutter speed combinations. Honestly I just know what works with the lighting and overall effect that I want.

When I get the film processed I will post one.

I'm going back as soon as we get snow, hopefully I will have my 6x7 then. If not then I will give my Yashica a try though it is very limited with what shutter seeds I can use.