Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Old 09-22-2018, 09:16 PM

Default Did I say I Hate Stainless Steel Tanks

Well if I didn't then I will say it now. I simply do not have the coordination to load them. My first experience with them was in the college darkroom. Nothing but failed attempts. I actually think failed is soft and it was more catastrophic. Enough so I never tried them again.

Fast forward to today, I still hats them and I am as bad as I was back then. I thought I could use less color chemicals switching to a stainless steel tank. Mine came today and I spent the past hour trying to learn how to wind the film. No matter how many you tube vids I looked at I'm as bad as ever.

So now I have a stainless steel emergency tank if I run into problems and need a light profs tank when load film. I can just toss it in and close the lid.

Thank God for Paterson Tanks.

Ok I will keep trying. Maybe someone will finally post a tip on this thread. Not that I would be smart enough to actually be able to use it.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:44 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I haven't used anything except SS reels and tanks for decades. However, plastic tank caps may be better than steel ones. There are a few tanks, perhaps Hewes is one and I had a LPL, that had prongs that hooked the sprocket holes to the core. This solved the common problem of the film not being perfectly centered before winding it on.

The clips that hold the end of the film to the core are one source of trouble. If the film isn't well centered, those clips don't let the film center itself. I take the clips off and reform them to block off three of the gaps in the core. Bending the end of the film back usually holds it while winding the film on. Bent reels can also be the culprit if one has difficulty in using steel reels. If the film gets off-center between the flanges, one can usually feel the edge of the film between the spirals. When this happens, the film buckles and makes a faint sound. Either clue means it's time to start over.

Contrary to what a few claim, bent reels can be straightened. Unlike any plastic reels I've tried, they can be loaded while still wet. Long ago I was a teaching assistant at the University of Iowa photojournalism lab, and plastic reels were prohibited as being unprofessional.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:23 PM

Ok so I spent 2 hours again last night. I stink. Went fishing for 6 hours and did well. Came home and spent another hour, stainless steel stinks.

I'm going to do it, someday, maybe and hopefully before I die.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:26 AM

If it doesn't work for you, don't sweat it. All of us have something that works for others, but not for us. I lettered in high school basketball because there were only 11 boys in that high school. However, I don't remember ever making a point. At least I was academically third from the top of my graduating class -- of four students, despite a high I.Q.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 PM

It's all in the reel. Today when I was in Pittsburgh I stopped by Bernie's photo. I noticed they had a few old stock but new Nikkor reels. So I bought one.

Well film loaded correctly on the first try. Then the next 20 also went on. I then went back to my other reel. I didn't get a single one to work.

So to me it is all in the reel, expensive but we'll made ones work.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:13 AM

A bent reel can be impossible to load. The flanges should be flat and equidistant. Sometimes if a reel has been dropped, it passes that test but the two flanges and the core are skewed. Thanks to being a klutz and too often dropping reels, I've learned how to straighten them.

Now, if we could only get mismatched steel lids to work. A big rubber band wrapped around the junction of can and lid stops most leakage, but one still has to be careful that an oversize lid doesn't come flying off at a bad moment.