Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Old 11-25-2018, 07:56 PM

Default Film for Christmas

I call it old age. I found my youngest daughters Pink Barbie Polaroid camera. That was pretty easy it was on her shelf in its original box. She probably hasn't used that camera in 10 years. She enjoys her Nikon DSLR. I know one of my kids all digital.

In any event I like to get the girls something different or unique at Christmas. You know those little cool extra gifts. So I ordered two boxes of Polaroid 600 film. One box is the red metallic and the other is the pastels.

I then ordered 5 rolls of 120 KODAK Portra 160 for the Yashica A.

So we will have some old time fun over Christmas.

My oldest is much harder when it comes to photography. She is 100% Iphone.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Have you introduced your youngest to the joys of the darkroom? By now that should be something unique for her age group. Some younger people like to blend in, others prefer to stand out. Traditional photography is a magnificent way to be someone special.

Edwin Land of Polaroid fame was one of America's great inventers. Some of his cameras, like the SX-70 were not merely improvements on previous cameras, but entirely new concepts. He also was a good enough businessman to make sure his patents were enforceable. He really got to Kodak when that giant infringed upon Polaroid patents with their instant cameras. Kodak had a long reputation of infringement, perhaps on the assumption that many patent holders didn't have the resources to fight back. Land did fight, and won. The settlement left a lot of Kodak instant cameras with no film available. We could mail up to three name tags from those Kodaks to the Great Yellow Father and receive a check and coupons for batteries. If you see those Kodaks with no name tag, that's probably why.

Last edited by Jim Jones; 11-26-2018 at 03:35 PM..
Old 11-27-2018, 02:11 AM

Yes both girls did their darkroom work at a young age. One was 10 and the other was 14. My youngest is 22 now, how the time starts to fly.

Only my youngest has an interest in photography.

We have a blend of photography which is really nice. Over Thanksgiving I did a lot of 120 and flash bulbs. Of course I don't do any event without a little B&W and E6.

Digital is a given, though it was all with phones. In fact I know very few people / friends who uses cameras at all. However they tolerate me especially my slow focusing skills with the Yashica.
Old 12-25-2018, 04:05 PM

Lol

The biggest hit today was the Barbie Polaroid.

My daughter was so touched today she had tears. The downside she went through the four boxes of film. But still nothing says Christmas more than a Polaroid photo. At least if you grew up in the 1970's.