Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Old 11-28-2018, 10:39 PM

Default Film I keep on Stock

I probably keep more film in the freezer than 90% of the photo stores. It's pretty easy when there are fewer of these stores left

So what do I have on hand.

35mm

20 rolls of Velvia 50
20 rolls of Velvia 100
12 rolls of Ektachrome (new Stock)
20 rolls of Acros 100
30 rolls of TRi-X ( personal favorite)
18 rolls of HP 5
12 rolls of HP 4

15 rolls of Portra 160
15 rolls of Portra 400
5 rolls of Pro 400H
25 rolls of Fujicolor 200
1 roll of TP
5 rolls of PAN F PLUS

5 rolls of Portra 120
5 rolls of Portra 400
Old 11-29-2018, 02:06 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I thought I was a film hog when a friend and I returned from three weeks in the Great American West with 80 rolls of 35mm B&W to develop and maybe a few dozen rolls of Kodachrome to send to the Great Yellow Father. I've shot little film since first dabbling with a 2mp digital point and shoot somewhat over 10 years ago. In the seven and a half years since moving up to Nikon DSLRs, I've accumulated maybe 90,000 digital images, perhaps as much as all of the 35mm shots taken over 60 years. I've also made many times more digital prints than ever done in the darkroom.
Both digital and film photography have their place. Digital is convenient, efficient, and economical. In 1953 I bought my first Leica camera for about six weeks pay as a junior U. S. Navy whitehat. The basic Nikon DSLR I now use nearly equals the Leica in maximum image quality. It has a zoom, and sophisticated automatic exposure meter and rangefinder. It can automatically shoot four frames per second for many more exposures than on a roll of film. It can store many hundred maximum quality exposures on a tiny card, and thousands of adequate quality exposures. It cost maybe a weeks retirement pay, not including extra lenses and a few other accessories.
Film is still necessary for some of the classic printing techniques where a negative the size of the print is required. Image quality can be noticably better in prints from large film sizes. Properly processed and stored film can be printed when hundreds of years old with the same basic techniques as used today. Artists printing from film can sell fine photographs at premium prices because of their involvement in all phases of the print production. A few photographers may still be using film for these reasons as long as civilization lasts, just as artists are still using some of the techniques of 2500 years ago.