Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Old 10-27-2018, 01:49 PM

Default Moving to Medium Format?

Really it isn't so much of a question mark. After all I gave it a weak attempt with my Yashica. However the Yashica and I just never clicked. I like the 120 film size but for some reason I found I wasn't very good with the Yashica. I still have it and maybe someday I will give the time to get better with it.

So with that said I still have the medium bug. I habe been looking at a used Bronica ETR-SI. It is complete and for $259 it might be worth a gamble. I really wanted a Pentax but just didn't feel like spending the money.

Thus I am at a cross road of sorts. The Bronica is on the low end while the Pentax is what I call middle of the road. Should I give it a try or just bite the bullet and get a Pentax which is going to be between 2 or 3 times the cost. I really don't want to move into the high end.

I have read all the reviews on the Bronica and the only downside is the max shutter speed of 500.

What I didn't like about the Yashica was that it didn't not have a meter. The Bronica does. I don't have a hand light meter and I actual used one of my Nikons to get the meter reading for the Yashica. It worked but was a pain. In addition I didn't really like the twin lens and found it time consuming to focus. Little things I know, I guess I could just buy a light meter.

In any event I don't know if buying the Bronica is the best way to try to give the medium format another shot or if I should just break down and buy a little better camera. I hate decisions like this.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:13 PM

Just thinking about a new camera made me bring out the old Yashica Model A. I just shot two rolls of Portra 160. I think this is the first time I used a flash with the camera.

I still have a hard time trying to focus, i even use the magnifier. I think it is more my eyes than anything else. Though I do pull a shirt over my head, don't ask it just makes seeing the viewer better.

The camera will sync at any speed, (X) I used my Nikon flash with a shutter speed of 100 and f/11. It should be just right since everything is less than 10 feet.

As usual I get everything in focus and press the shutter release and nothing happens. Yes I forgot to cock the shutter.

I will never set any speed records using this camera. For me it is a slow process.

I do like my Yashica Model A. It has a gray today covering with a gray leather case. It would rate as a 10 for condition. I have had it maybe 10 years and probably shot 6 rolls of film with it. I don't have a reason why so little but I will be increasing that number.

You know I haven't used my Nikon DSLR in over two months. In that time I have shot 36 rolls of film. However I have used my camera phone a ton of times. The problem is they will sit in that phone for ever except for the few I share.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:46 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I have a few old 120 film cameras, but rarely use them. A 6x7 or 6x9 camera is just halfway between 35mm and 4x5, and would be logical. 6x4.5 has too little advantage over the more flexible 35mm cameras. With practice one should be comfortable with a TLR, but I never was. However, the later Yashica TLRs could product fine photos. The better folding 120 cameras also make fine pictures and have the advantage of fitting into a coat pocket. If I was to shoot 120 film today, it would be in a baby Graphic press camera. Although cumbersome, they handle more like the other cameras I use, and are among the most versatile 120 cameras.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:44 AM

Crazy weekend. I have to send out my 120 rolls just wasn't on my mind with the weekend then I had to go to Buffalo Sunday night.

I want to see how the photographs come out. I did spend some time reading up on medium format cameras. So much to learn and figure out. Such as 6x4.5 to 6x6 etc. Then some cameras can do both 220 and 120. Better cameras are modular. So many choices and still much more to read and learn.

So I am going to experiment with the Yashica. Then I will upgrade my knowledge of medium format then make my purchase decision.

Who knows maybe someday I will get the bug for large format.

Times like this I could use a close friend to teach me. Lol. I don't know anyone local that plays in medium or even large format photography. Then again this is not a good week for it anyways.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:02 PM

Bethe uses a 4x5. If you lived close by, I could loan you a 4x5. Development can be done in a perfectly dark darkroom in trays. A few scanners do a good enough job of scanning 4x5 negatives to satisfy most photographers. Even my old Epson 2400 was fine for this, and it was working fine when I stored it away and bought an Epson 700. The 2400 may not work with the latest computers. Those later second-hand Epsons that can scan 4x5 negatives are probably cheap.

Last edited by Jim Jones; 10-31-2018 at 01:12 PM..
Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 PM

You could move, lol.

If she moved back to her old house she is less than 45 mins away. When I get things figured out I will have to try to get in touch with her
Old 11-02-2018, 09:59 PM

Ok Beth where are you at when I need you

Last edited by Johndeere; 11-03-2018 at 08:22 PM..
Old 11-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Maybe her email is still Elizabeth King" <ewfisher@mac.com
Old 11-03-2018, 08:21 PM

Got it thanks