Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Old 09-28-2018, 01:12 AM

Default Why use slide film?

I would think a majority of the photographers who never used film have never given slide much of a thought. I think it is the best pure media possible for a photograph. Others may say black and white or the few great color print films still on the market.

So why use it?

If your looking for detail and color that pops i can not think of anything better. Every medium has a strength and weakness. But in the end I can not come up with anything else that can compare to slides.

Slide film is sometimes called E-6, which is the developing process. You can view slides many ways, by hand, a simple single viewer, a light table or by projection. In addition you can have them scanned when you get them processed. Though I'm not a fan of this.

So I think if your moving back to film or just trying to experiment outside of digital take some time to shoot some slide film.

What I will do in this thread over time will talk more about using slide film. My goal is to bring this fabulous film to the front of the class.

I hope to be able to give you ideas, tips on how to judge exposure and save you the learning curve that this film does require.

While it is a color film it does not exactly work like color negative film. What I mean by this slide film does not have as wide of a exposure range as color negative film. Thus it is easy to blow of the highlites.

So I hope I at least to put slide film into your vocabulary.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:51 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I first used Kodachrome (ASA10!) in 1952, and preferred it to any other color film until its demise. For a while in maybe 1954 Kodak had a problem with monopoly litigation which complicated getting it developed, and some of us tried developing the newer Ektachrome at home. The color wasn't as dramatic, and Ektachrome usually faded over several decades. Agfa-color had muted colors. Sakura color from Japan lacked the dramatic color of Kodachrome, and also didn't last as long. Most of the almost 20,000 Kodachrome slides I still have are in good shape, despite being stored in a wide variety of conditions.

We have to consider that the brands of color film are not as important as whether they are transparencies or negatives. Kodachrome had the great advantage of being a transparency with a wide dramatic range. When projected onto a good screen in a totally dark room it was (for its day) spectacular. However, that is rarely as convenient as viewing prints. A well photographed, organized, and presented slide show is still impressive. It is also nice to have fine color prints on one's walls. Developing and printing color film at home is practical. We had to get everything right in the camera with Kodachrome. That was good training for precise control with other films.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:40 PM

They say slide film is the hardest to shoot I wouldn't know. It was the first color film I used. I learned from old school photographers as I was just around 11 or 12 when I started. At the time slide was still the above hobby level per say. It was the early 1970's and slide film and Super 8 was still the thing.

I went to Europe that summer and took nothing but rolls of Kodachrome. Looking back through those old slides I am amazed how well I did. To be honest everything is great from bull fights, landscape, outside -inside to belly dancing.

I think my strong background in understanding exposure with black and white made slide film easy. My neighbor who first trained me was big on understanding how exposure works.

I have gone on to shoot slide film for over 40 years and my love with it has never ended.

Today we have far less choices in slide film. Though Kodak has added one old friend.

When I want saturated colors for landscaper or objects my fall back is Fuji Velvia 50. When I combined people with the need for intense color my choice is Fuji Velvia 100. My general purpose slide film is Fuji Provia 100.

Some that I miss, Kodachrome 25, 40 and 64, Ektchrome E200, 64, 100, Fuji Velvia RVP 50 (have 10 rolls in freezer), Fuji Astia, Fuji Sensia, Konica Sakurachrom4e and Chrome.

Today I view most of my slides in a hand held viewed. However at least every other month I will treat my wife to a new slide show.