Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > General Photography Discussions
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 PM

Default Ramblings of a Photographer

Why photography? That is a very good question. Ask 100 photographers and I think you would get 100 different answers. Was it because I had some great ambition to be an artist? Far from it and I still do not consider the artist side of photography relevant to my love of it.

For me it was another hobby, the magic of being able to personaly develop an image form film at home. I always wanted to do things that other people could not or didn't want to take the time to learn, it was me being me. Sorry no great story to share.

Then there was the darn equipment, yes the SLR was way more cool than my simple 126 box camera. Maybe it was the equipment that was the real draw. In anyevent devloping, printing and equipment is what I loved about photography. Never once did I think of the final end process, the photograph. to me it was just tht thing you ended up with when all the fun stopped.

Strange when I look back but I could care less about the final product. However what was more strange that final product was becoming special and I didn't even know it. I was so wrapped up on the fun side that I never stopped once to look at the photograph.

Looking back the final product had to be good. I just didn't care at the time. However I spent so much time working on the fun side it meant that the final product was going to come out great. Funny how that works.

I just wanted film stock to work with so I took shots and to make the work more fun I took hard shots. This challenged me to make the perfect print. Somewhere along the line I absorbed some techniques but mostly by accident. No I didn't book learn at this time, I just learned from looking at my final print. My challenge was not to have something look like dad lined us up and took a family photo. After all every photograph I saw was like this heck look in any family album and you see what I mean.

I won my first contest at the age of 14. To me it was just a photograph of an old long forgotten mine car that offered some challenging darkroom work. My mom thought otherwise and sent it in, I won. That was the last time I ever entered a contest or even displayed my photographs. Well I did have several used for commercial work years latter but that is another story.

I still take a ton of shots. My family don't still don't understand why I take so many of the most common things. My wife points out the several hundred rolls never processed along with a large growing pile of Sd cards never downloaded. I can go out and just walk around the house and fill a SD card or shoot 5 rolls of film. And yes they are the same subject I shot yesterday, the day before and last week. I just see it a little differently each time.

I'm still working on that perfect subject, that perfect photograph. I am just worried some day I will find it and all the fun will stop.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

When you are out with the camera, you see so much more than almost anyone else. That can be worth more than any picture.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Senior Member & Donator

Send a message via AIM to BillB

Sometimes when going out somewhere I will leave my camera at home on purpose. I have found that I look/see things differently depending on whether I have my camera along or not. I guess you could say that my "focus" is different.

http://billbarberphoto.com

Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 PM
Administrator

My 2 cents….

Some of the coolest shots I've seen are ones that will only live in my head because I didn't have a camera with me when I saw them. I saw the BEST EVER rime frost along the MassPike one morning just at sunrise. Yup, on my way to a crime scene and no camera.
But I don't know that I've really stopped to think about WHY I shoot. I just do because I have to. I guess I'm trying to get an image to show why I go where I've been or to have something of a place to take with me. Over the years, I've improved (at least I hope I've improved) because I wanted to get what I saw in my head, not just the basic facts.
There's always cooler equipment to yearn for or to fondle. Large format gives you that in spades, btw.

A few weeks ago, I went to the lecture part of the f295 symposium in Pittsburgh. One of the speakers was Dan Burkholder. He's used just about every format over the years and now uses mostly smaller digital or his (gasp!) iPhone. But he does some really cool things because it's about the final image matching what's in his head, not just the scene in front of him. Yet one of the the things he said at the end of his talk was that the most important photos are not in galleries. They're not in portfolios. They're the ones of family and friends - don't ever stop taking those.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-08-2015, 03:04 AM

Beat by the Iphone. Well I have been diverted from photography the past few weeks. All good but doing thing that use my time. So two things happen this week. My wife and I are driving to the Dollar Store. One of the best largest bright orange setting sun I can remember is looking at me through the wind shield. No camera. Wife snaps a hot through the windshield with her Iphone.

What can I say somehow it tuned out spectacular. Now she wants it framed.

Tonight at dinner my daughter shows me two photos on her Iphone. The first is just a great setting sun over the lake. The nest is taken through her windshield of a setting sun on a field. Just gorgeous with a slight reflection on her hood and the Mercedes eblem adding a touch of interest.

What was I doing? Not shooting any photographs that was for sure.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:14 PM

As Bethe noted, even expert photographers can put iphone photography to good use. Long ago, when China was closed to most Americans, an American doctor was invited to China. His wife photographed whatever caught her attention with a tiny Kodak 110. She presented a slide show compiled from that opportunity. Projected onto a large screen, those tiny images were horribly grainy. Exposure was off in a few. However, each slide said something. The message dominated the technique. The accompanying monologue was flawless; none of it was, This next slide is a village back street." That monologue alone flowed like a good radio presentation. I've seen a lot of slide shows, and presented more than any self-respecting photographer would like to admit. Many were done with some of the best equipment of the day. However, no amateur show impressed me as much as the doctor's wife did.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 PM

I use to shoot 110 and 126. However these photos are every bit as good as anything I have seen, no grain and clear.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:00 PM
Senior Member & Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
I'm still working on that perfect subject, that perfect photograph. I am just worried some day I will find it and all the fun will stop.
I reached a peak where I thought I had finally reached the quality I had been trying to achieve all my life, at the time everyone discovered phone cameras and social media. Less and less people seemed interested in what I was shooting, because they were now taking photos of every little thing in their lives and sharing them online. Photos were now everywhere! So for now, I just go to the day job during the week while looking and waiting for inspiration. The "fun" is still there, but going more and shooting less was getting old. Perhaps the approach of autumn, my favorite season, will help get things going again. When you say "why photography?" I think for me it may have started as a way for my parents to get my wandering young mind to focus on something. They knew I had an artistic bent because I used to draw a lot. With the camera, I tried to capture the "art" in the world around me, and I have been shooting ever since. I still have most of the negatives from my early years. They may not look the best due to the age of the film and/or neglect, but those early shots still inspire me.

Last edited by photomao; 08-01-2015 at 11:02 PM..
Old 08-02-2015, 02:26 AM

Photomao, you've found many good photos in places some of us never think to look. I've found that externally imposed challenges can provoke us into doing things we find that we enjoy. Also, just having a camera handy keeps us looking for new opportunities. Today I took the DSLR to town to shoot a friend performing at an event. Those photos might satisfy her, but not me. On the way home the clouds were great for the IR-converted 4/3 mirrorless camera that was in the camera bag. There's usually at least one camera in the car whenever I leave home. Perhaps the emergency gear in the trunk is more valuable, but I get more use out of the camera.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:24 PM

I might have a different take. Photography is for me. It is my vision, interpretation and enjoyment. Don't really care if someone likes my photo, subject or gets the same enjoyment. I just don't.

I shoot a ton of film for enjoyment and sometimes the same subject 100's of times. Thus I talk a lot of film.

Though heading down south, well Virgina is south for me for some fall action this year. And you know what, I will take hundreds of photos and probably not share any outside of my wife looking at a few tell she tells me that enough trees.