Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Me with a Canon? It is true.

Why would a diehard Nikon person buy a Canon? Well I didn't. However my father gave me a Canon AE-1 one today. Long story short it was his brothers and he thought I would want it.

I am excited to play around with another fine old film camera.

I just have to read up on it first and I am sure it will look great along with all the Nikons and Pentax that I have. Who knows I may even like it.

@ note the is the second Canon for me I have a Digital point and shoot from around 2004 that just stinks. I forget the model number.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

My second digital camera was an 8mp Canon A590 P&S. I liked it well enough to eventually buy two more so there would always be one in the car and pickup. With Eneloop batteries kept out of the camera so the camera didn't discharge them, the Canons can go a long time without any attention. An adaptor permits using the 52mm filters from the Nikon kit. Many people can't tell the difference between 11x14 prints from the little Canon and from the Nikon D3100. Canon lenses were often good enough for my Leica cameras. So was one of my two Minolta lenses in 1953, even better than the much-praised Elmar 50mm f/3.5.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:23 PM

The Canon AE1 is weird. I bought a new battery and everything works. However the controls and operation is weird to a Nikon user. I know one thing that is really hard is moving the shutter speed when in Automatic. It is just not user friendly in try to both hold the meter setting and moving the shutter speed. It did take me awhile to figure out how to set the lens to automatic, easy once you know who to do it.

I will take a few days to get use to a new body then try some film out in the old girl. I do like the build of the body of course it is in the style of most cameras of the period.

I don't know if this is correct or not but I found you have to hold the shutter release 1/2 down for the meter to work and keep holding it. Once you let off the meter turns off. This is why it is not user friendly when trying to meter and move the shutter speed.

I have not figured a way to do it differently so either it is just awkward or mine is not working properly. I also find hold the body for any length of time is like holding a brick, just not as comfortable as I am use to.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Having the meter work when you press halfway sounds normal to me for that era. Having gone from a non-meter camera to a fully auto capable camera, I skipped the ones similar to the AE1. Though I had a Minolta x370 for awhile and maybe it metered that way?
As for ergonomics, I always preferred Pentax. The few Nikons I've used (at work) were not my favorites. But I haven't used many Canons to know how different they are.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-18-2014, 10:03 PM

Congratulations on the Canon. What lenses do you have or plan to have? Just curious?

See my gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr8sublime/
Old 07-18-2014, 10:29 PM

So far none just the Canon 50 and 70-210 zoom that came with it. The meter activation is really a great distraction for me. It only stays on when you have the shutter half depressed. My Penatx and Nikon stay on for a period of time after depressing the shutter half way.

I expect I will get use to it but I don't like it.

Setting the shutter speed just doesn't make sense. At issue is that it is a very slim wheel that is very hard to move with using two fingers. It is hard to find because just about half of it is protected so you have to search for the part you can turn. It is jammed between the shutter release and the winder.

That are my only complaints the other things where just coming form a Nikon to a Canon so I had to learn those such as setting lenses in the automatic mode.

I love the body though still find it is like holding a brick. No the meter is great and I took a roll of pictures today.

So if your asking, yes I like it and will use it. I do prefer the Nikon FE over the Canon AE-1. However not enough to build up a base of other lenses for it.

These things are fairly cheap on ebay and you are looking to dabble back in film a little I certainly would consider one.

@ The Nikon FA frustrated me more having to learn how to read the meter for the four different programs you can shoot in. All are different as they show different things in the view finder.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. At this time I have no plans for future acquisitions. I was just wondering what you had planned. Those two lenses could certainly cover many situations. I guess I like talking gear still even if I have no immediate plans for anything new. Good luck to you. I'm sure figuring out the camera and getting used to it is part of the fun.

See my gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr8sublime/
Old 07-18-2014, 10:43 PM

I don't mind. I started shooting a lot more film and then got the hunger to try out different bodies. Of course my Nikon list of manual camera bodies has grown by leaps and bounds.

I plan on building my Pentax line up too.

Having a Canon is cool.

My current Nikon DSLR is good enough for the next 8 years again, I had my last one just over 10 years. It does a great job too.