Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Beginners
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Beginners For the beginners at photography

Old 01-10-2009, 04:34 AM

Default Photo tutorial feedback requested

Looking for your feedback and critique.

I've recently put together a photography tutorial intended for non-photographers. The target audience is the woodturning community. Photography is a frequent topic of discussion among this group (it's how I got hooked) even though most know little or nothing about it. Most are only equipped with a point-and-shoot and only do product shots. A VERY frequently asked question is, "How do I improve my photos?"

Given the target audience this is a basic, non-technical "tips and tricks" tutorial geared more towards product work. I did not go into DOF, shutter speed, etc since most readers would have no interest (trust me on that). I also didn't cover image compression (see section on resolution and image quality), although in hind-sight I probably should have. My technical knowledge there is too thin to speak intelligently.

The tutorial has already been widely read in the turning community but I would welcome feedback from you gurus in the art. I'm always looking to improve.

Here's the tutorial: http://www.nealaddy.org/node/16

Thanks in advance!

Neal
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

It looks good to me. You've covered some critical topics that are often overlooked, and done it concisely. Referring the woodturners elsewhere for information on aperture, depth-of-field, etc., is probably a good idea in this instance. Those subjects are important, but too much information can overload someone wanting to use photography to support their main hobby or business.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:01 AM

Thanks Jim. I was hoping you would chime in. I appreciate you taking the time to read it and reply.

That's good to hear. I tried to maintain a balance between too little and too much.