Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Default DSLR Cleaning?

My Nikon D-70s is going on what I think is 7 years. I have really used this body hard since then as i accounts for most of my photographs. That is a lot of changed lenses, dusty locations and everything else you can think of.

I have never once cleaned my sensor and it has yet to show any signs that it needs cleaned.

How often do you clean your sensor and do you feel the need to do it every year or even sooner?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Administrator

I think my K-7 does something automatically when I turn it on, but I'm not sure. There's also a basic one in the menu options of the camera. As for actually flipping the mirror up and really cleaning it, it'd have to be bad before I'd do it myself.
The one time I started noticing some spots in blank areas, the next time I used it, they were all gone.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 08-24-2012, 09:17 PM

There's a myriad of ways to clean your sensor, some better than others....better being defined as optimizing the time, risk, effectiveness and cost. I settled on the Copperhill method and have been content with it for years. At 1st its a little nerve wracking...but I got over that. I did lots of cleanings in the 1st years but I've learned how to minimize the need and haven't done one in months, maybe a year. I change lenses with some frequency AND outdoors....a tough combo! I do absolutely minimize the time either lens being changed has an exposed rear element (ie uncovered with lens cap or mounted on camera), loosening the cap on the "to be mounted" lens before unmounting the other. I try to do so in a windbreak and absolutely avoid changes in dusty etc conditions. For me, pollen filled air is the real bear and takes tedious cleaning to get the inevitable goobies off the sensor. I routinely blow out my sensor chamber using a Giotto Rocket Blower.

If you think your sensor is clean, take a test shot of the northern sky and then subject the image to PS/PSE's Auto Adjust feature......blam, they're everywhere!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:11 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I believe my Nikon D3100 has built-in sensor cleaning. I've had the camera 16 months and haven't seen any need for cleaning. I do check images on the monitor at high magnification, and may clone out sensor dust along with any similar flaws in the subject. I don't clean lenses often, either. One 50mm Summicron and a favorite 203mm f/7.7 Ektar for large format suffer from too much cleaning. Replacing that Summicron cost a small fraction of the film it exposed, though.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to atulli Send a message via Yahoo to atulli
Default Cleaning

Trust me on this! Never swab a sensor on a low battery! Now I use the shake feature if I notice sky bunnys. Going to have to swab again someday but lesson learned the hard way