Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Beginners
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Beginners For the beginners at photography

Old 04-18-2009, 04:29 PM

Default Digital Photography School

My friend recently asked me to do some portraits of her, her husband, and her dog that doesn't have much longer to live (He is 16). I've spend quite a bit of time looking for articles to help me since I've never taken a portrait in my life and I don't want to screw this up for her.

In my searching I found this wonderful website that takes you from the equipment you need, to the dos and don'ts, through post production. It was very helpful to me, so I figured it should be helpful to others.

Here is the link:

http://digital-photography-school.com/
Old 04-19-2009, 12:15 AM

If you've never made a portrait before, then no one should have high expectations. That should include your friend. Be sure to explain that to her and then there won't be unrealistic expectations. I am sure you will do the best you can and I am also confident it will be a portrait that everyone will be satisfied with. If not, try again.

Fred
Old 04-19-2009, 12:28 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Spend lots of time with them, and take endless shots. If the session is more about friends enjoying time together than getting perfect photos, the natural poses will take care of themselves. If you can do it without a flash, the session may be more relaxed.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:10 AM
Supreme Commander

Send a message via AIM to Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaud View Post
If you've never made a portrait before, then no one should have high expectations. That should include your friend. Be sure to explain that to her and then there won't be unrealistic expectations. I am sure you will do the best you can and I am also confident it will be a portrait that everyone will be satisfied with. If not, try again.

Fred
Gee Sarah, I told you the VERY SAME thing.

Fred, GREAT minds think alike
My Flickr Page
www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddshaak/.com
------------------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Albert Einstein

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - - Norman Vincent Peale
Old 04-19-2009, 03:54 AM

Oh, they know that this is my first time. I don't think they are expecting too much, more my expectations of myself. I have a bunch of ideas so I feel fairly confident in myself. I just need to get a handle on my my camera.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:36 AM

Sarah, I 50% pose and 50% catch the moment. Always bring self-confidence to a shoot and list of poses if that would put you at ease. I am sure they are looking for photos with feeling and even though I don't know you (only by email) you seem like a great gal that is very artistic. If you want any mentoring before the shoot, feel free to let me know - or a list of locations

I am sorry about your friend and her family.