Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > The Gallery > Photographer of the Month
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Photographer of the Month Where each month a Photochimp Photographer is highlighted.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Supreme Commander

Send a message via AIM to Todd
Default December 2009 "Photographer of the Month" Boz16

Each month we will be featuring a fellow Chimp for our featured "PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE MONTH". Our "Photographer OF THE MONTH" will be determined by the PC Mod Squad . The Featured Photographer will get to answer a few questions about themselves and be highlighted on our landing page www.photochimps.com.

Our
"Featured PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE MONTH" December 2009 is Boz16 (Mike DiRenzo)!
Boz16's Gallery

1. When did photography begin for you?

Back in the 6th Grade I was given a used Brownie as a first camera. The film and developing cost far exceeded my budget. I had an interest in photography, the expenses made it merely a dream. Often I would stare at the photos in Look, Life, and National Geographic and dream of one day becoming a professional photographer.

2. What inspired you to pick up your first camera? I remember seeing the famous shot of Cassius Clay in 1961 standing over a down and knocked-out Sonny Liston with fists clenched screaming at him to get up off the canvass for more and thinking "wow" what a terrific shot. I have always wanted to take that kind of story telling shots.

3. Are you formally trained or self-taught? I am self taught. I live by the motto "I do it wrong until I do it right!" I am currently the Vice-President of the Huntington Long Island Camera Club http://www.huntingtoncameraclub.org/ and we often have guest speakers and demonstrations of "How Tos" that have proved valuable to me. I also learn alot from many of my on-line photography friends.

4. What inspires/inspired you? I have always been a lover of art. I guess it is this love of art that drives me to go out and attempt to find and capture the beauty in the world around us.

5. Who inspires/inspired you? My lovely wife. I am a science teacher by trade and therefore I am off all Summer and have the ability to go off for long periods of time to shoot whatever I am in the mood for. I might tell ZoZo (Carol) "Hey, I have this route all planned out for a lighthouse shooting tour around the Great Lakes!" and her reply is usually something like, "Have fun, how many weeks will you be gone?" She inspires me through her support.

6. Are there any challenges you'd like to pursue and have not yet had the opportunity? In other words, are there aspects of photography that you have wanted to try and have not yet done? Well there are places I want to travel to, but not had the chance to get to yet. However I believe that is a challenge for every photographer. My biggest challenge I would have to say is to make some nice money selling my photos.

7. Where do you think your future lies in photography? I do have my own website: www.MikeDiRenzoPhotography.com (http://www.MikeDiRenzoPhotography.com) which does generate some sales. I have also sold some photos through another on line source. I have entered and won numerous photo contests locally and on-line and have been published several times in national and local magazines and local newspapers. I hope that by the time I am ready to retire from teaching in a couple years I will be able to supplement my income from my pension with sales of photography. During the warm weather season there is an "Art Fair" somewhere in the New York Metro area. I am looking to tap into this market sometime in the near future. The one and only time I tried this type of sales my shots absolutely flew off the shelves, so to speak. However, right now I don't have the time to invest every weekend.

8. What is your favorite Camera? My Canon 5D Mark II is worth every penny, although I have never used the video function.

9. What is an ideal day photographing for you? Up at 3:30am and on location by at least 45 minutes before sunrise. Scattered stratus clouds, sunshine and unbelievable colorful skies behind a lighthouse on a rocky cliff or a desert mesa or hoodoo surrounded by colorful sandstone and NO MOSQUITOS OR SCORPIONS! Wildlife or wildflower shots in the morning and afternoon and more of the same cloud and sunlight conditions at sunset and again NO BUGS! Campfire at night and no rain and a nice dry tent...who needs food?

10. What does Photochimps mean to you? Photochimps is a great site to display and get feedback on your work. It is also a good place to get ideas and see what other folks are accomplishing with their skills and talent.
My Flickr Page
www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddshaak/.com
------------------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Albert Einstein

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - - Norman Vincent Peale
Old 12-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Member & Contributor

Congratulations, Mike, on being the photographer for December. I always enjoy your photography and comments.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:17 PM

Congratulations, Mike.

Your photos are awesome and the recognition as POTM is well deserved.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Supreme Commander

Send a message via AIM to Todd

Indeed, a very BIG congrats. Enjoyed reading your answers. Again, Congrats
My Flickr Page
www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddshaak/.com
------------------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Albert Einstein

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - - Norman Vincent Peale
Old 12-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Congratualations Mike. I love your work.

See my gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr8sublime/
Old 12-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Congratulations! I find your work top notch and artistically inspiring.