Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:55 PM

Default FS: Entire Darkroom, Don "LightWhisps" Legacy...

Hi guys, I don't know if you remember Don, his username was LightWhisps, he was an amazing printer, who favored Cibichrome/Ilfochrome more than any other process but was excellent at all printing methods. He passed away last year suddenly, a huge loss to the film community, and to those who loved him.

He lived in Canada with his partner, she contacted me recently because she's looking to sell the darkroom equipment which they had just bought all new stuff after a big move that they had made together. She would like to sell it all at once, so we are going to try that first, (trust me I want some of the individual parts myself but out of respect for Don I want her to get a fair chance at selling it all out before bargaining out parts) if we can't find a buyer for all of it, we will then start to part things out.

The gear is in Canada in Ontario, so a road trip might be in order, she's kept it all set up properly, and I'll add some pictures at the end. This is an ENTIRE darkroom.

Anyway, the equipment is in top shape, here's a list of the equipment and what they payed originally.

(I formatted this to look cleaner but the system won't seem to take it, sorry if it looks messy).

DARKROOM EQUIPMENTDESCRIPTION$ NEW

2500.00 - Saunders LPL 4550 XLG Dichroic Color 4 X 5 Enlarger
200.00 - Schneider Componon S 2.8/50
230.00 - Schneider Componon S 5.6/100
375.00 - Nikon El Nikkor 150mm 1:5.6
120.00 - LPL Lens Boards (2)
120.00 - LPL Negative Carriers for 35 mm Slide
170.00 - 35 mm film strips
60.00 - Micro Sight Grain Focusing Scope (Bestwell Optical)
120.00 - GraLab Timer Model 300
250.00 - GraLab Timer Model 450
350.00 - Saunders LPL Regulated Power Supply
50.00 - Ilford Exposure Monitor EM10
27.00 - GE Quartzline Lamp EVW 82 V 250W
150.00 - Saunders 4 Bladed Easel 11 x 14
300.00 - Saunders 4 Bladed Easel 20 x 24
50.00 - Contact Sheet Printing Frame
30.00 - Omega Red Filter
150.00 - Thomas Duplex Safe Light
30.00 - Plastic Trays 12 x 16 (4)
20.00 - Plastic Trays 16 x 20 (1)
180.00 - Plastic Trays 20 x 24 (3)
25.00 - Thermometer
620.00 - Print Washer Tank for Prints up to 20 x 24
18.00 - Siphon to use on a Tray
2500.00 - Print Dryer ARKAY Dual Dry 150
75.00 - JOBO Drum 3063 for Prints up to 20 x 24
35.00 - Cibachrome Color Processing Drum for 8 x 10
50.00 - Cibachrome Color Processing Drum for 11 x 14
150.00 - Simma Roller Agitator

$8255.00 Total

Pat is asking $3500.00 for everything if it is sold as a package.

All items are clean and in good working order.

I would prefer to sell all the items in one package. If a piece is sold individually, the price will need to be discussed.
This is the ultimate package for anyone wanting to start or upgrade a darkroom. It is quality equipment and I will not pack it up until you can see it and know what you are getting. Transporting the equipment is your responsibility and some of it is very heavy.

Serious inquiries only please, let's carry Don's legacy forward.

Pictures....When I can get to a computer (currently on my phone).

Mods, I couldn't find the right place for this post, please feel free to move it.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Stone - If she does end up selling it off in pieces, you really should snag the 100mm Schneider Componon S enlarger lens. That line of lenses is SWEET. I know it won't help with bigger film, but it will work for 120 (best for 6x7 or 6x9). If you ever go to that size, it would be worth having. I have a 50mm and an 80mm that are Componon Ss.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 01-24-2015, 12:50 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Selling such an outfit will likely be a financial heartbreaker. Very few people can afford to jump into sophisticated printing on such a scale in one step. It took ten years of gradual accumulating to get my next-to-last darkroom to where I wanted, and only minutes for it to burn to the ground. The present darkroom took even longer before switching to digital printing made it mostly obsolete. Perhaps in a big city there are buyers for such a dream analog setup, but not here in the boondocks. On the bright side, she is asking only a fraction of the cost of a new car, and that darkroom should last longer. My 4x5 enlarger is probably 60 years old, and all that I ever wanted. It even has a few advantages over some of the new ones. Unfortunately, people with the prospect of 50 or 60 years of analog work ahead of them aren't apt to already have earned the money to buy such a darkroom.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Stone - If she does end up selling it off in pieces, you really should snag the 100mm Schneider Componon S enlarger lens. That line of lenses is SWEET. I know it won't help with bigger film, but it will work for 120 (best for 6x7 or 6x9). If you ever go to that size, it would be worth having. I have a 50mm and an 80mm that are Componon Ss.
Thanks, I'm an EL-Nikkor user, I've already got an 80mm that does well for 35mm and 120, and a 135mm for 4x5, so really I'm only looking for a 300 EL-Nikkor, I don't need an APO version, but I feel like switching between different lenses it's best to keep the same type to be consistent with contrast differences in each lens etc. If the 100mm Schneier Componon S is better than the EL-Nikkor's I'll listen, but I would probably keep what I have, but tell me more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
Selling such an outfit will likely be a financial heartbreaker. Very few people can afford to jump into sophisticated printing on such a scale in one step. It took ten years of gradual accumulating to get my next-to-last darkroom to where I wanted, and only minutes for it to burn to the ground. The present darkroom took even longer before switching to digital printing made it mostly obsolete. Perhaps in a big city there are buyers for such a dream analog setup, but not here in the boondocks. On the bright side, she is asking only a fraction of the cost of a new car, and that darkroom should last longer. My 4x5 enlarger is probably 60 years old, and all that I ever wanted. It even has a few advantages over some of the new ones. Unfortunately, people with the prospect of 50 or 60 years of analog work ahead of them aren't apt to already have earned the money to buy such a darkroom.
Yea, I ended up getting an 8x10 Saltzman over other newer enlargers, I like the old school hands on feel and beautiful images were made with them way before the fancy electronics, plus, there's not much to break... it's pretty simple in design. So 60 years from now I can still use it (assuming paper and film still exist) and not have to worry about replacing the electronics etc. Of course by then you could probably have a machine fabricate any part, but either way the simplicity of the design means it will last and be easy maintenance.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 PM

OK I tried to upload photos and got his message...

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

What's a security token?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Administrator

I don't know. I vaguely remember that happening before, but before I was in charge, I think. I'll see what I can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mechambale-sm.jpg (86.8 KB, 0 views)

www.ewfisher.com
Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Administrator

And apparently it is not a site-wide thing since I was able to add an image. Let me make sure your account is in the right list.
Just in case, might be worth doing the usual clearing of cookies and cache. Never know.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
And apparently it is not a site-wide thing since I was able to add an image. Let me make sure your account is in the right list.
Just in case, might be worth doing the usual clearing of cookies and cache. Never know.
I don't even know how to clear the cache or cookies, I have a Mac not a Windows computer so I don't usually have those issues, and I don't want to have to re-type all my passwords to all my sites LOL

It's either that the files are too big and the site isn't re-sizing them and just denying them, or it couldn't handle uploading a bunch at once maybe? I dunno lol.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Well, I checked and there's no size limit for the attachments as a whole and there's no limit to the number of attachments per post. There are only 10 boxes for adding a file, however. Which makes me wonder if you're using the "manage attachments" section below the editing box or if you're clicking on something above the typing area?
And I'm a Mac person, so I can walk you through resetting stuff in Safari*. But it will delete your cookie-based passwords. If you've had Safari save your username and password in its keychain, then those will still be there. You can also check for updates and see if there's something you haven't done (there was a security update a couple of weeks ago).
Though I'd have to say that I couldn't find anything helpful looking for security token info. The only ones I could find reference to are physical keys you'd carry to be able to access certain websites (likely similar to the cards that military members use so that they can sign things digitally).

*If you click "safari" then "preferences", you'll see both passwords and privacy in the choices. Passwords has all the ones you've had it save and privacy has the button to clear everything (which does not clear the passwords list).

www.ewfisher.com
Old 01-30-2015, 01:51 AM
Administrator

And the limit is 800 by 800 pixels for the forum. It is supposed to resize anything over that. If a file is too big or there's a big pile of big files, then it depends on whether the server can handle it. I'm going to guess it can, but maybe trying smaller files in small groups would at least help figure out if that was the cause.

www.ewfisher.com