Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:50 PM

Default Nikon D7000

My first impression is WOW. Things have changed in over six years plus. Going from a D70s to the D7000 isn't all that bad though.

One of the first things that I noticed is that the new Nikon batteries take some time to charge up to 2 & 1/2 hours. Since I have two with the grip that means 5 hours.

I'm not going to go over the fit / feel of the camera because everyone has their own likes and dislikes. To me it fells like the F100 with a bunch more buttons.

I was prepared for what I needed today so setting up the auto focus and frame rate for 6 was simple. I like how it is done and it is fast. You have to push the AF button then rotate the back dial then select the focus points using the front dial all while pushing the AF button.

So now I am all set for my soccer game.

What can I say going from 3 frames to 6 frames per second is like warp speed. I got an opportunity to play around with it using my dog outside. Perfect focus every shot.

There is one thing that is small that I like and that is the safety catch for the battery on the body of the camera. In addition you do not have to take the battery door off to put on the grip.

Though one thing that I don't like but is really no big deal is that the body takes one battery then the grip takes the second battery. That means you have to take the grip off to recharge both batteries.

Weight wise the new setup is what I expected again you can compare it to the F100.

The freaking instruction book is over 300 page. Coming from the D70 I really can figure out most of everything I need too. However if you are new then this camera can or might over-whelm you. I think I would have a heart attack if the was my first DSLR.

The reason is that you can do and control so much. Yes if you are not a gear or tech head you are going to have some problems. I certainly can see where you could have AF problems if you don't take the time to figure out how it all works. Lets just say there are at least three options that have to work together for the type of photo you want to take.

I like the two SD card slots. Not sure what I will do with the second yet but it gives you plenty of options from back up to raw to movies. Did I say movies? Maybe some day I will find out the reason why you would put this option on a still camera. We have a great digital handi-cam and it is much smaller and convenient than a DSLR.

Well that is it for now maybe I will add to this thread but I want to take time to fully understand all the options this body gives me.

Word on controls - they are there and really very similar to the older DSLR's, at least it is very similar to my D70s. Again most people will either like what Nikon has done or not. To me I will learn what is the same and what has changed and adapt.

More later I'm sure.

Last edited by Johndeere; 09-12-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 02:00 AM

Like I said you better be a gear head. So I had my photographs on my new SanDisk Extreme Pro 8 GB card.

Everything is great and I put the card into my card reader. The computer does not recognize the card and My Computer freezes instead of opening. Now what How do I get my photos on to my computer.

Well I just hooked up my camera through the UBS and yes it works. Well that is great but why won't the card reader work?

Ok so I do some research and after searching and reading I find my answer. This card is SDHC. That means the card readers built into my HO computer will not read them.

So I have to hook up my N7000 or simply spend a few more dollars to get a new card reader that will support SDHC.

The funny thing was while I was researching this problem I found many people had the same problems and were sending their cards back to SanDisk.

No big problem except it took me a little over an hour to figure this all out.

So I will buy a new card reader so I do not have to use battery power to down load photo's.

It is the simple things that can be such a headache to solve.

Oh this camera is fantastic. I cannot believe the difference in the photographs over the D70s. If some one would have told me there was that much difference I would have told them they were kidding.

The difference is like a HD TV to a non HD TV.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Well the new card reader solved my problem. You learn some new things when you update frame 6 plus year body.

Some new news today Nikon came out with the D600. Taking a look at the specs I'm not going to miss anything with the D700. Why do I say this?

The plus for the D600 is a full frame at 23MP. But the frame rate is less than the D7000 and has a slower top shutter speed of 1/4000 while the D7000 has 1/8000. Both very important features for me.

I'm not hung up on the full frame as some people are. Look the D7000 is now $1,000 cheaper than the new D600. That is all you need to know because the D7000 rocks and I'm sure the D600 will too.

I was off one day in my soccer schedule the game is today so I have had some time to get to understand the D7000. If and I say if I can produce a half decent image I will give you a look at what the D7000 can do.

So far if you are looking for a DSLR that rocks with what I call a great value for the buck buy a D7000 now before they end the rebates and production.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:16 AM

With the faster frame rate a few things happened. First I took 300 images. Second the frame rate is fast twice as fast as my last DSLR. Third I had more interesting shots.

So how was the frame rate? When you are use to 3 fPS and you double it to 6fps what a difference. At times I would fire up to 15 shots with no noticeable drop in performance. I had no trouble keeping the shutter speed around 1/1000 so I know I was getting top speed.

The AF was very good, I used AFC (auto focus continuous), D-9 (only the center 9 focus points), CH (Continuous High shutter, Shutter Priority ( shutter fires in focus or not).

I had a few out of focus shots but less than 10 or 3% of the total taken. I am going to play with the focus points just to experiment.

I shot everything as a JPEG, Large File - Fine.

Notes - The AF on my older 80-200 f2.8 lens did not hunt. I had less than a 3% error on the focus. That is a better percent than my F-100. Far better than my D70.

I hand held the camera but may opt for a mono-pod.

For some reason I had an error in the 8GB SanDisk Extreme Pro Card. This shows up in the view finder as CARD and you can not shoot. This may have been user error and only effected about 10 shots that I took in pregame to get use to the camera. A in camera reformat corrected the card.

The grip makes handling the camera with a big lens a plus. Battery usage dropped to 96% when I was done.

So how does the D7000 do for soccer games? IMHO it is the right body with the minimum frame rate (6) that you want to use. The focus system is one of the best I have ever used in both a film SLR or DSLR.

Quality of image - I think they are great. Here is a fast sample. This was taken in the full sun in front of the subject.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:27 AM

Old 09-14-2012, 02:04 AM

Sounds like you having lots of fun with the new camera. Hopefully I'll have a similar experience in the not too distant future. Looking forward to seeing more pictures from your D7000.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:10 AM

I now have two soccer games under my belt and I am becoming more familiar with both the D7000 and shooting soccer games.

First the shooter - well like anything else the more you practice the better you get.

The D7000 - outstanding performance. 6 fps is about the slowest that you would want, I thing that 8 fps is what you want though. But you would have to spend a cool $1,000 over the D7000's current price for those 2 fps.

Focus ability of the D7000 is just outstanding, I like using AFC - CFH with D-9. I doubt I have used an AF system any better.

ISO - I have used 100 to 1600 and the quality is just great. This is a great improvement over my prior D70.

I can use this camera free hand with even the 80-200 f2.8 lens. Though I might opt to buy a mono-pod still.

I can certainly start to tell you that this is looking like the best bargain in the Nikon line up and for a price just shy of $1,000, seriously I am not sure the D600 of D800 is worth paying more at this time.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:58 PM

I was busy today getting potatoes out of the ground and hauling trees for firewood. But I did find some time to check out the low light ability of the D7000.

What I found blew me away. I could never do this with my D70 and then only with black and white when it came to film. I have a photo of the max ISO which would be 25,600 in my gallery.

DSLR's have come a long way and if you need to update or get into one the D7000 is a great bang for the buck. It does what the D300 can and then shines like the D800. It is so close to both I feel unless you have a money making reason not to consider the D7000 then you are maybe minus some marbles some where.

I am going to have to play around with some more of the what I call dark shooting with the D7000.

Last edited by Johndeere; 09-17-2012 at 12:11 AM..
Old 09-19-2012, 06:41 PM

Seldom do I ever go to the point of recommending one camera let alone one brand model but the D7000 is just the right body at the right time and priced at the right price point.

But as Thom Hagan has just recently said about the Nikon 600.

Again, think D7000 with FX sensor and you'll be pretty close to right on any question you can come up with.

That is a pretty big endorsement for the D700 along with the real life experience I have with the D7000.

So there you have it you can buy the D7000 with a DX sensor that does everything a full size can do for under $1,000 or buy the D600 which does everything the D7000 can do only with a full sensor for a $1,000 more.

IMHO a lot of money for no separation.

SO yes I'm big on the D7000 and it is not going to be on the market that long so you really s=should give it a good look. Use the savings for really nice glass.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:00 PM

So now I have some more time with the D7000 and I have explored some of the settings. It has taken some time to read through the book and then do additional reading on the internet. A few things I found out, I loved vivid colors. However using vivid then increasing it slight in the camera makes skins tones way to red. I boosted the in camera sharpening and I am unsure if this is good or bad. I have it 1/2 way but might decrease it a little.

Frame rate has been great as has the burst rate. 6 frames is far better than the 3 I had but I find myself wanting 8. A lot can happen in a second of action.

The AF is great period even uing a 10 year 80-200 Nikon f/2.8 lens. Again you really have to understand all the options and their functions to get the most out of the AF.

It works great with my older Nikon SB600 flash. I am fooling around with the video, its nice but I still ask why?

Lets talk battery usage. I should say why even talk about the battery. I am still on the battery in the grip and I have a lot of time on it along with photos. I have over 1,000 photos and I can't tell you how many videos and just fooling around and I am at 57%. The second battery is at 100%.

One issue I shot the last soccer match at ISO 800 and didn't even know it and the photos came out great. I have to remember to check that because it was set up for night games and today was a 1:00PM game..