Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM

Default Is the DSLR on its final run

One thing digital has done is it made photography easy. Just about any device from your cell phone to what ever can now take a pretty decent photo. Heck most kids don't even own a so called first camera.

Did you ever notice at a youth sporting event when the team lines up to show their trophy's ever photo is now taken with a camera phone. Take a look next time and count how many people have an actual camera.

When was it you last saw a DSLR that you did not have hanging around your neck? In ever day life I see one very rarely. They are a bit more popular when photographing some thing like Mormons Row in the Tetons but outside of those areas I see zero DSLR's and a ton more camera phones.

SO what do you think is the DSLR on a slow road trip to death?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:59 PM

No I think the DSLR will go on as a camera style for a long time to come. The camera phones seem to be replacing the point and shoot cameras. Mirrorless Cameras (I find it funny that the classic Leica M rangefinder style is categorized as such even though accurately) seem to be making inroads though with certain kinds of photographers, so perhaps that kind of camera will continue to steal more and more of the thunder from the DSLR market over time.

See my gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr8sublime/
Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

The DSLR will fill the slot of the large format of yesteryear. That's beyond the capability of cell phones, et al.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Administrator

I'm with Ned on this one. I don't see camera phones replacing dslrs, just point and shoots. Heck, I use my iPhone rather than the p&s I have somewhere. Mine just doesn't zoom that well and is tougher to use one handed. The p&s was better in that regard.
I think the mirrorless cameras are on the rise, but I confess that I really don't pay a ton of attention to the new stuff coming out.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-26-2012, 04:09 AM

So not an interesting thread title? For those that read and study it should be though. The future holds so much new thinking and change.

The SLR system is coming to an end. This includes the DLSR. You may ask why what will replace it? Well as simple as I can put it the mirror less digital camera.

The real question is will the consumer and companies adopt what really is a better system.

I can think of one large advantage no mirror in the action to slow down the FPS. Of course live view finders will have to improve and they will as everything is just getting better.

It is coming and while it will not 100% kill the DSLR you will see far more advancement in these cameras.

Hey time will tell if I'm right though if it happens if will out pace the time it took Digital to replace film as the primary way we take photos.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Mirrorless technology does indeed have some advantages over SLR and DSLR cameras. The ultimate mirrorless system, the view camera, has been around since the earliest days of photography. For composing precise and deliberate photographs on film, no other camera comes close. Another mirrorless camera, the Leica, has proven itself for almost 90 years. Its (almost) mirrorless viewfinder/rangefinder system demands greater precision than the shutter or film transport, and adds considerably to the cost. As digital mirrorles viewing systems improve, they will certainly become cheaper, and perhaps even better, than the Leica rangefinder. In my limited experience with cheap mirrorless cameras, they have much room for improvement. Tethered screens may overcome some of their problems, and present possibilities beyond purely optical systems. However, tethered screens with their cables and power requirements are a nightmare compared to the simplicity of a view camera.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM

This is interesting - Canon has just release their first digital mirrorless camera.

The Canon EOS M.

Canon has just announced the launch of their first mirrorless camera, the EOS M, sporting an all-new lens mount and internal hardware that places it right alongside the company’s mid-range DSLR lineup.

Combining the imaging quality of a DSLR with the convenience of a point and shoot, it features an 18MP APS-C sensor.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:45 PM

New and different lens mount? Only LCD screen viewfinding? Ouch! I wouldn't trade in my used Nikon D3100 for that Canon with its only two available lenses.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:26 PM

Agreed however when digital first came out there wasn't one person ready to scrap film for the first generation digital cameras with 1MP. Well maybe some but you get my point.

So we are at the 1MP stage of this camera. Panasonic makes no excuses in their press releases. They plan to surpass the DSLR market with their Mirror-less cameras.

The short comings may be there right now but those gaps are closing and closing faster than we can imagine. In fact Canon held on as long as they could but they also know that this new technology will start eroding their DSLR sales.

I will predict a slowing down of newer DSLR with the ASP sensor as soon as these new cameras improve a little more. I think maybe what you will see is only the full size sensor in future DSLR's.

Again interesting reading-

Beyond the interest to consumers, MILCs have created significant interest in camera manufacturers, having potential to be a disruptive technology in the high-end camera market. Significantly, MILCs have fewer moving parts than DSLRs, and are more electronic, which plays to the strengths of electronic manufacturers (such as Panasonic, Samsung and Sony), while undermining the advantage that existing camera makers have in precision mechanical engineering.
Nikon has announced the Nikon 1 series on 21 September 2011, and claims that it is "Nikon's most significant announcement since we introduced our first digital camera 14 years ago".[36] It is a high-speed MILC which features world's fastest autofocus (10 fps) and world's fastest continuous shooting speed (60 fps) among all cameras with interchangeable lenses including DSLRs.[37] Canon was the last of the major makers of DSLRs, announcing the Canon EOS M in 2012.
Longer-term, MILCs may replace DSLRs entirely in some categories or among some manufacturers, with Olympus America's DSLR product manager speculating that by 2012, Olympus DSLRs (the Olympus E system) may be mirrorless, though still using the Four Thirds System (not Micro Four Thirds).[38]
Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 PM

I think this is pretty blunt! Now you know why Canon could not sit this one out any longer.

Panasonic is hoping to replace DSLR cameras with what it is dubbing "DSLM", or "Digital Single Lens Mirrorless" devices.
Speaking to TechRadar, Ichiro Kitao, Panasonic's director of digital imaging, said "We're aiming to innovate, to replace the DSLR category with mirrorless cameras.