Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Contests > Previous Contests
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Previous Contests Previous contests

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Supreme Commander

Send a message via AIM to Todd
Default January 2010 - Technical Contest "Golden Hour"

January 2010 - Technical Contest

"Golden Hour"

Contest runs from January 1, 2010 to January 31, 2010
ENTRIES DUE AT MIDNIGHT
January 31, 2010 Pacific Time

"Golden Hour"

...is the first and last hour of sunlight during the day

If you need an example of a
"Golden Hour" Check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_...photography%29

Photographs Can be either Color or BW - REMEMBER to Follow the rules on the Post Processing below.

RULES:
  • New and old work permitted.
  • Photograph must NOT have been posted on Photochimps prior to the start of the contest.
  • Color or Black & White, Digital or Film. Any format is allowed.
  • One photo entry per person please.
  • Please upload your entry to this thread.***See hints below
  • Only Basic PS/Post Processing to restore the image to how you “saw it” is allowed. This means you should not use post processing to change the image in to something it was originally not.
  • You may only perform the following post processing
    • Dust/Spot Removal
    • Levels
    • Curves
    • Brightness/Contrast
    • White Balance
    • Straightening Horizons
    • Hue/Saturation
    • Lens Distortion Correction
    • Perspective Distortion Correction
    • Cropping
    • Sharpening
    • Noise Reduction
    • Convert to B&W
    • Burn & Dodge
  • You may use any plug-in or action set to achieve the above corrections.
  • HDR not allowed
  • Photo should be no larger than 800x600 +/-
  • The entry may be disqualified if:
    • the above rules are violated,
    • the theme and/or special instructions are not followed or
    • the photo is deemed inappropriate.
  • Be sure to include a title as well as a brief description with the photo.
Judging/Voting:
  • Judging will begin Febuary 1, 2010 and last until Febuary 8, 2010.
  • Every PC member will get one vote.
  • Please do not vote for your own entry.
  • We will tally the votes and announce a winner on Febuary 9, 2010.
  • If there are less than 3 entries no winner will be announced.
  • If there are 10 or more entries there will be a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
  • In the event of a Tie, a short tie-breaker poll will decide 1st, and 2nd place.
Winners:
The winners and the winning photographs of the monthly contest will be posted in the Contest Winners forum as well as in the recent Contest Winners Section of the Photochimps Gallery.

Grand Prize Winners:
We will be tallying all of the votes every member receives in every photography contest including the POTM contest throughout the year (to the end to 2008). This means that even if you don’t win any individual contest you still have a chance at the Grand Prize simply by entering.

The member with the most votes overall will receive a beautiful 12x16” print (of their choice).
Second and Third place winners will receive a beautiful 8x12” print (of their choice).
Bonus Participation Prize: To thank members for their participation there will also be a bonus random draw for an additional 8x12” print. To be eligible for this draw you must enter images into at least 8 themed or technical contest through out the year (there will be at least 24 contest this year). Winners of the First, Second, or Third place prints will NOT be eligible for the bonus draw.
The winners will be able to choose their print from either Tom’s, Todd’s (AJazzyone), or Barbara's (chaud) gallery or website.

*Note: Print sizes are approximate.
<!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________
My Flickr Page
www.http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddshaak/.com
------------------------------
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Albert Einstein

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - - Norman Vincent Peale
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM

New Years Day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg croppedmanion*1.jpg (41.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 PM

Todd (or others), I don't mean to be a stickler but I've always found the term "golden hour" to be very softly defined. I see where your references refer to it as the hour before sunset and hour after sunrise......but the examples shown include twilight shots, ie technically BEFORE sunrise or AFTER sunset. I wouldn't want anyone DQ'd because they had a twilight shot instead.

Sunset or sunrise itself is defined differently depending on where you get your definition. Some define it as when the leading edge (top for sunrise, bottom for sunset) passes the horizon, others define it as the lagging edge, others yet define as leading edge for sunrise and lagging edge for sunset, but the more common one is when 1/2 of the orb is on the horizon. Prior (sunrise) or subsequent (sunset) to that moment is considered twilight, which again can be defined as either civil, astronomical, or nautical versions....each progressively longer and thus inclusive of lower levels of light.

Personally I find the "golden hour" less about time (its often much shorter and sometimes longer than 1 hr) and more about the quality of light and thus very dependent on atmospheric conditions (clouds, air pollution, etc). Sometimes it is 1 hr before sunset or after sunrise. More often its the last/first 15 minutes of each with the majority of quality light technically falling in the twilight "zone". More specifically, I define "golden hour" as the period of time I can see objects (other than blue sky itself) lit by the sun at a low enough angle (and thus the yellowing effect of additional atmosphere). Subjects can be in the foreground or not, ie higher elevation elements (buildings, mountains, clouds).

I'm okay with however you want to define it for this contest....but just wanted to clarify.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Supreme Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Todd (or others), I don't mean to be a stickler but I've always found the term "golden hour" to be very softly defined. I see where your references refer to it as the hour before sunset and hour after sunrise......but the examples shown include twilight shots, ie technically BEFORE sunrise or AFTER sunset. I wouldn't want anyone DQ'd because they had a twilight shot instead.

Sunset or sunrise itself is defined differently depending on where you get your definition. Some define it as when the leading edge (top for sunrise, bottom for sunset) passes the horizon, others define it as the lagging edge, others yet define as leading edge for sunrise and lagging edge for sunset, but the more common one is when 1/2 of the orb is on the horizon. Prior (sunrise) or subsequent (sunset) to that moment is considered twilight, which again can be defined as either civil, astronomical, or nautical versions....each progressively longer and thus inclusive of lower levels of light.

Personally I find the "golden hour" less about time (its often much shorter and sometimes longer than 1 hr) and more about the quality of light and thus very dependent on atmospheric conditions (clouds, air pollution, etc). Sometimes it is 1 hr before sunset or after sunrise. More often its the last/first 15 minutes of each with the majority of quality light technically falling in the twilight "zone". More specifically, I define "golden hour" as the period of time I can see objects (other than blue sky itself) lit by the sun at a low enough angle (and thus the yellowing effect of additional atmosphere). Subjects can be in the foreground or not, ie higher elevation elements (buildings, mountains, clouds).

I'm okay with however you want to define it for this contest....but just wanted to clarify.

Russ,
Thanks for your inquiring! Sorry about the confusion! We decided to delete the second link that you were referring to. After looking at it myself (even thou I posted it ) We see how that could of confused some.
My Flickr Page
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -- Albert Einstein

The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. - - Norman Vincent Peale
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Supreme Commander

Get your entries in
My Flickr Page

Old 01-24-2010, 03:22 AM

Default Bryce at Sunrise

This image was made just as the sun was rising in the east.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bryce 5564-TM.jpg (166.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-25-2010, 04:24 AM
Supreme Commander

Get your entries in!
My Flickr Page

Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Senior Member & Contributor

Golden Iris
Golden Iris
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Tarn at Artist Point

Sunrise at Artist Point in the Mt Baker Wilderness of the North Cascades of WA

Canon 20D, 17-85mm @ 30
ISO100, f25, 1.3 sec, polarizer
tripod, MLU, cable release

Last edited by Russ; 01-30-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Old 01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Supreme Commander

Get your entries in! Due Tonite Midnite
My Flickr Page

Closed Thread