Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:47 AM

Over 14,000 views, you would figure some people would get more active on the site. In any event how is this camera doing a few years later? Just great so I thought I would share one of my daughters basketball photos. I like the photo, not the greatest in terms of getting everything but I liked it because while she was small she played great defense.

As you can see this body can deliver in a badly lighted gym. No corrections made, though some cropping on the right and left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kate def.jpg (54.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-09-2014, 02:49 AM

Old 07-09-2014, 04:22 AM

Regarding "Over 14,000 views, you would figure some people would get more active on the site.", I have a couple of theories about that.

One: It's almost pointless to ask a question because Photochimps.com is so full of good information and if you do a Google search you can get a lot more information from multiple authoritative sources without have to wait for someone reply to your post.

Two: There are very few discussion topics and very few people to discuss them. I know you've tried to generate things in the past but with so few regulars it's almost impossible to get a topic going where everyone feels comfortable enough to chime in. We need more people so we can have more discussions. Kind of a chicken and egg thing. Wish I knew the answer.

It's nice you're still enjoying your D7000. I've had my D7100 for about 16 months now and I have learned that it is a very complicated piece of equipment. I hate to be trite but I truly have not even scratched the surface of its capabilities.

I've also learned is that when it comes to low light situations the D7000 outperforms the D7100 in some ways. I enjoy taking pictures at night or the early evening when there is sufficient artificial light. With the D7100 very dark areas of the photo sometimes suffer from banding with various shades of black or very dark grey. I've only had the problem a couple of times and fixed it with cloning and/or the smear brush. It looks ok on the monitor but not sure if the corrections will show up on a print.

So the D7100 is complicated and sometimes has a low light problem, but I still love it. I can't wait for opportunities to take pictures. If nothing comes up I go outside and take picture of the irises, daisies, cornflowers, redbud, or catalpa for the hundredth time.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 PM

It's hard to beleive but the camera body is 6 years old. I have never had the issues in low light that were mentioned. I'm still really, really happy with it. I will call this the best purchase I ever made in photography.