Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:13 PM

Default Is it time for outdated digital dslr buying?

Some times it has been frustrating building my film camera collection. Prices have jumped to high at least for me on some of the ones I want.

However I am seeing a larger drop in 5 to 10 year old great Nikon Dslr cameras. Some that I just didn't want to drop money for when they were new.

I am just see far better deals on a lot of these great dslr bodies at. I mean even at 10mp your still getting a good fully professional dslr at a fraction the cost of a new one.

What am I looking at? Maybe the Nikon D200 or D300. Who knows I think they are great bodies and take even better photos.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:51 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I rely on the lower price DSLRs. Quality and features are good enough. Near the end of its expected life the Nikon D3100 was donated to a budding young photographer. A D5100 is the workhorse. I'd use a refurbished D5300 more, but the histogram doesn't work. That is essential when working fast under changing light conditions. All of these accept the Nikon lenses accumulated over the past 50 years, one of Nikon's great advantages. Sometimes scale focusing on those lenses is preferable to automatic everything on newer lenses: fireworks and the night sky for example.