Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Gear/Equipment Discussion
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Gear/Equipment Discussion Talk about all photography related gear.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Default What camera do you use?

I know some others have interesting cameras, both for use and for other reasons. I tend to keep gear that has outlived its usefulness, and to buy a few of the models used and disgarded long ago. My first one, a 100-year-old folding Kodak, developed problems and is retired. Next is a Mercury II, which originally was sold just after WWII to people desperate for any camera. It is a rugged and heavy half frame, with a bulky rotary shutter and no speeds below 1/20 second. However, it's top speed was 1/1000 and the lens is a 35mm f/2.7 triplet. That seemed really hot after the folding Kodak with a TBI shutter and f/14 lens! I still have my first Leica from 1953, although it no longer works and isn't worth repairing. Most of the Nikkor lenses used on it are long gone. My first view camera was a Newvue in 1964, which is still barely useable. Over the years several view and press cameras have joined the fleet. Too often a desirable lens with a camera costs little more than the lens alone. I bought a Nikon F Photomic outfit in 1967, and have added several Nikon F and Nikkormats since then. The most colorful camera is an Inba Ikeda field camera, all gold plating and cherry wood. It only weighs about 2.5 pounds without a lens. Another attractive camera is an ancient 5x7 Kodak Revolving Back Cycle Camera with its original case and six plate holders. Alas, its lens is not original, although from nearly the right age. It's good that I live alone in an old seven room farm house with plenty of room for such an accumulation of junk and a few really nice items.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 PM

Cameras that I actual use is easy. I will limited to what I have really used over the past year.

This might surprise some but my workhorse is my Nikon D-70s DSLR. I use it more for family type photos, sports, and general all around shooting. Lets say it takes about 50% of my photos.

Then I use three other cameras; Nikon Fm2n, Nikon F100 and yes the Nikon N80. Of course these are all film cameras. The F100 is the camera of choice for my slides, yes I still shoot tons of them. The FM2n and N80 are my black and white cameras and get the second most use.

I own three other SLRS but they are seldom used. I have a larger Yashica for 120.

I have other various point and shoot film and digital cameras. If I want just some snaps from something like a gathering of friends I toss this in the pocket, does better than my BlackBerry.

What I would really want.

Film Nikon F6 and Nikon FM3a

Digital - A Nikon but not sure which one, looking for a steel body and faster FPS than the D-70s.

Of course I would keep my D-70s but these four cameras would fill my photography needs for a long time.

Last edited by Johndeere; 07-25-2012 at 09:41 PM..
Old 07-25-2012, 09:35 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

My last photography was architecture with the gold and cherry Inba Ikeda 4x5 field camera. It might have been more practical to use a Speed Graphic for those particular shots, but the Inba Ikeda kit was ready to go. A Nikon D3100 zoomed out to 300mm captured some details the field camera couldn't.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Administrator

The ones I use the most are the Pentax K-7 (yes, digital), Pentax 645N, and Crown Graphic or Speed Graphic.
Next batch would be the Cambo 4x5 monorail, Hasselblad 503cxi, Pentax H1a (dad's, still just borrowing it), Holga, and Pentax PZ1p.
The film ones mostly get B&W through them, but the occasional roll of color. Lately, I've done some old slide film in the Holga and had it cross-processed. Not bad (and it works well to then print them in B&W in the darkroom).
I still haven't shot any color in 4x5, but maybe when the leaves are changing this year.
I also have some old Leicas and folders. If my old self-portrait is still around here somewhere, it's got most of the ones I don't use. Though I've added to that collection, too.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to atulli Send a message via Yahoo to atulli
Default My gear

Ihave always had whatever basic point and shoot that was available, old brownies, polaroids, 110 instamatics,etc. Still have them all, some work, some dont. When I first got sick (rhumatoid arthritis) a wonderful woman I met on the arthritis forum liked the photos I was posting with my first digital an Olympus c3000 and sent me her Minolta film slr and lenses (she was loosing her sight from the arthritis) I do use it when I want to play with film but I usually stick to digital and cause im on disabillity I stuck with sony so I could use all my ebay minolta lenses. Other than that I like diy stuff and wont buy anything I can make....$14.00 fisheye,bokeh shapers, high speed triggers. Keeps me out of trouble
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 PM

For July 2012:

Nikon D800 has seen the most use (1,080 releases) since getting it early this month.

Nikon N90 has been used this month for my roll of film a month. The film is not developed yet.

Panasonic FH25 has been used for about a dozen shots or so.

See my gallery here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr8sublime/