Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 09-19-2018, 12:27 AM

Default My favorite camera

So you where looking for just one. I have to disappoint you. I do have two favorite systems and the first should be no surprise, it Nikon. However that was not where I started.

My soft spot belongs to Pentax, yes that was my first system. My Pentax traveled the world, Canada, England, Scotland, Italy, Spain, France, Morocco, Germany, Poland, Austria, Switzerland and a few placed I will not mention, lol.

I never made the move to go Nikon until around 1995. I became a zealot on Nikon MF cameras in the early 2000's.

Ok yes let me put the record straight I have three Nikon DSRL cameras and I like them. They have there place and time but this is a film thread.

My problem is I like all of the Nikon MF SLR cameras. I love the FM/FE series. Probably IMHO the best series of any company.

NOW LET ME SET THE RECORD RIGHT. I own and like Pentax and Canon SLR MF cameras and I like them too.

My number of cameras grow each year. I'm not a collector as I use each one and would never thing of buying one to set on a shelf.

So with that said do I have a favorite? Well this may surprise you I have two. The first is the Pentax Me Super followed by the Nikon FM 2N.

Ok I lied and did name the ones I like. Later when I get some time I will do a write up on each of them.

So what do you like.

BY THE WAY I HATE THE WORD ANALOG USED TO DESCRIBE FILM PHOTOGRAPHY.
What the camera and film had vacuum tubes or what.

In fact I hate putting each in its own class, it all PHOTOGRAPHY to me.

Anyways if your taking the time to read myboring post why not tell us about your favorite film camera.

I know it is easy to just not post but then again you may enjoy adding a little, you never know it. MIKEY TRIED IT AND HE LIKE IT.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndeere View Post
. . . BY THE WAY I HATE THE WORD ANALOG USED TO DESCRIBE FILM PHOTOGRAPHY.
What the camera and film had vacuum tubes or what.

In fact I hate putting each in its own class, it all PHOTOGRAPHY to me. . . .
And to me film photography sounds too limiting. On other photographic sites people still show images captured by glass plate, ambrotype, and paper images which we see on digital screens. It's been many years since I've talked to a Daguerreotype photographer. He may have died, poisoned by the mercury used in developing Daguerreotypes. The word 'photography" means writing with light. That should include any method of capturing light and reproducing its image on any substance.

I was far into a lengthy discussion of favorite cameras when one stupid click of a key sent it to oblivion. Maybe tomorrow I'll try again.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:11 PM

I hate when that happens. I get what I feel is a nice reply then poof I hit the wrong key.

It has been a long time my friend, I take it your off the farm. I hate to say it but we have been talking about selling the farm too. Mainly because I have some health issues and it is getting to be too much to take care of.

So how have you been? I'm going to guess one of your favorite cameras is going to have to be a little larger than a 35.

I regret that I have not moved up to at least a medium format or at least given it a better try. I have a TL 120 but only ran one roll through it.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:21 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

My favorite camera of all time is a Leica M4, but that story will have to wait for a less busy week.

Yes, the old farm house was falling down around me. A leaking roof damaged a bunch of cheap and some good camera gear and ruined a really cute S&W top break .38 from the 1890s. I moved 12 miles into Chillicothe, MO, into a 30-year-old double wide. It's comfortable, but I miss the country. Coons and possums are taking over the old farm house. I've had coons tear up two traps from the outside. They are monsters. I still feed the farm cats, but will have to stop that when water starts to freeze. They're country cats, and probably know which neighbors might tolerate them.