Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 05-29-2017, 01:09 AM

Default Building a New Darkroom

I know so old school. I have had three darkroom in my life. Nothing perfect but they all worked. I never had to best equipment but that to all worked. So after 45 years I will have that dream darkroom. I have spent the past few years picking up equipment that I could only dream of. Maybe just a little too much or it.

It is going to take a little work moving electrical and water and drains. But building everything from scratch means it will be done the way I want it.

I have moved in three directions, black and white, color and E6. I never had a sink in my darkroom so this will be cool. No more running to the other side of the house. My current darkroom was only functional at night so now I will be 24-7. No more cardboard for the windows. No more waiting for everyone to go to bed so I could have a dark downstairs. Yeah try doing your printing after 1pm every night.

No more locking myself in the bathroom with towels blocking light coming through the door. I use to load several rolls of film in about 10 tanks so I could do one big development process.

Being able to combine my traditional darkroom with my digital work station will be great. I know I will need a lot of counter space. Plus a nice stainless steel work sink.

In any event I'm excited.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 PM
Administrator

YAY!! I'm very happy for you! I have some extra stuff if there are pieces you need. I'm convinced that it multiplies (breeds?) when you leave it alone in the dark.
If you don't have an enlarger, yet, there was a Beseler 45MX on the Pittsburgh Craigslist a week or two ago. And I have a few enlarging lenses.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 05-30-2017, 11:45 PM

With me eveything multiplies with age. I'm good with two Beselers. Over the past ten years I bought things when they came up cheap. I still don't know how I ended up with 6 timers and 12 Kodak safe lights, lol. About the only thing I want or have to replace is my print dryer. I just have to out some plans together for the room. Then add and move some of the utilities. Not hard but a little work. The last time I checked I have 14 loading tanks including two 5 roll tanks. I must have a sweet spot for old Kodak Beakers and Thermometers. I lost count but every time an old cool Kodak glass beaker comes around I buy it.

Go Pens!
Old 05-31-2017, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I still don't know how I ended up with 6 timers and 12 Kodak safe lights, lol.
They breed - that has to be it! I have 7 extra enlarging lenses at last count. I'm afraid to look in case there's double digits now.
I've somehow accumulated several printing frames with different sizes on one base - they're not quite easels. And I've got a 4-bladed Saunders easel that's really the only one I use.
What I really wish I could accumulate is time. There's never enough of it.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 06-06-2017, 10:39 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I've improvised half a dozen darkrooms over the past few decades, but am without one now after moving from the old family farm. It's easy to set up everything needed to develop 4x5 film and scan negs for digital prints. Cheap DSLRs are so good now that scanning 35mm negs on a good flatbed scanner is pointless. Anyhow, the editing possibilities for digital prints is irresistible.