Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Contests > Contest FAQ's & Help
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Contest FAQ's & Help A place for questions & feedback about our contests.

View Poll Results: Post Processing in Contests
Minor PS only - dust spots, levels, curves, saturation, leveling the horizon, etc. 3 18.75%
Option 1 + cloning (out or in, max 25% of the original), PS filters or plug-ins i.e. gothic glow 0 0%
Anything goes. As much or as little Photoshop as anyone wishes 9 56.25%
Other. Please write your comments bellow. 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2007, 04:58 AM

Personally, my preference would be to keep the two current categories with the rules similar to what they are now. Then add a third category where anything goes in terms of post-processing. I say this because I like the monthly theme idea as it is now, and would prefer to limit the Photoshopping for that. But I also like the suggestion of having a category with no restrictions. So why not just keep the two we have now and add the third?
Old 11-23-2007, 04:59 AM

Hopefully I wont slip and fall on one of the banana peels I left in the ring earlier.

I don't have anything against Photoshopping an image, look at the last image I posted. The backgrounds of my hummingbird images were cleaned up using PSE5. I viewed the slide show in Chauds blog, those are great images. My very untrained eye only saw heavy burning, selective saturation and such. I like the method used in some of those images and may try it on some of mine.

I also need to say I am one of those who is consistently frustrated by winning images in the camera club which are constructed of a sky from this shot, a sun/moon/clouds from that shot, cloned out the crowd etc. all in the same print. To me that's not photography. I don't paint so I use a camera. If I wanted to piece together images I would get better at painting; that's where my frustration lies. Am I being too much of a purist, hanging onto a paradigm or just don't know any better?

Fred's got the plan. This will allow someone to perfect skills with the camera as well as with post processing.

Paul
Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 AM
Administrator

I like Fred's idea myself. I don't mind PS work since what I do there is basically what I do to a shot in the darkroom. But having one of the contests being more creative might be fun, too, if we allow a little more PSing. I'd like a bit of a nudge to be more creative.
One of the things that has kept me from putting many shots in the contests lately is that it takes me awhile to get film processed here, so I don't have things back in time if I only think of a good shot halfway through the month. I don't know if advance notice of future topics would work, but it would give me a bit more time. Or maybe if we had a separate "assignment" section that would take ongoing entries (maybe for a year?). I know, this is off the original topic, but I'd been thinking about it for awhile.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 AM

Bethe's got a good point about the time limit for folks shooting film. Why not post a list of the upcoming contest themes--for example, the themes for the next three or four months--so folks (especially those shooting film) can plan ahead for them. Petersen's Photographic (before its demise) listed the next three month's upcoming contest themes each month in its magazine. (Sorry for continuing the off topic discussion. )

With regards to the contests, I'll be happy with whatever you guys decide. A huge thanks to Tom and Todd for all your hard work keeping the contests alive and well for all of us!

Barbara
Old 11-23-2007, 04:16 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
. . . One of the things that has kept me from putting many shots in the contests lately is that it takes me awhile to get film processed here, so I don't have things back in time if I only think of a good shot halfway through the month. . .
If the contests are limited to 600 x 800 pixels, get a $100 P&S camera just for the consests, for snapshots, and for ebay pictures. It certainly doesn't take state-of-the-art gear to shoot for computer displays. The $100 Fuji Finepix a young friend used in her 4-H photography this year was certainly good enough for 11x14 prints that could show as much detail as any computer display I've used. Those 360dpi printe weren't perfectly sharp, but it took a magnifier for my old eyes to see that.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Administrator

I do have a P&S, but I still like shooting film, even for contests. You never know when something for a contest might be worth keeping for yourself.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 11-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Administrator & Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Tom

I didn't think that we would all agree on one thing. And the poll reflects that.
I like Fred's suggestion of having the technical contest 'photoshop free' and the themed contest a 'free for all'.
Here's a list of possible post processing rules for the technical contest. What do you all think? We can add or subtract so let me know.

Post Processing Rules. Only the following post processing will be allowed:
Dust/Spot Removal
Levels
Curves
Brightness/Contrast
Hue/Saturation
White Balance
Straightening Horizons
Lens Distortion Correction

Also, it won't be a problem to post the contest themes for up to 3 months (or more) ahead of time. We'll just make a sticky thread with the themes.

Tom Nevesely Photography

Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I didn't think that we would all agree on one thing. And the poll reflects that.
I like Fred's suggestion of having the technical contest 'photoshop free' and the themed contest a 'free for all'.
Here's a list of possible post processing rules for the technical contest. What do you all think? We can add or subtract so let me know.

Post Processing Rules. Only the following post processing will be allowed:
Dust/Spot Removal
Levels
Curves
Brightness/Contrast
Hue/Saturation
White Balance
Straightening Horizons
Lens Distortion Correction

Also, it won't be a problem to post the contest themes for up to 3 months (or more) ahead of time. We'll just make a sticky thread with the themes.
The problem will be coming up with ideas for themes that far in advance, lol.

The bullets above should be referenced to only those adjustments necessary to restore the image to the "observed" condition. In other words, nothing freaky, just what was real. With some of those bullets you can do things to create some weird stuff.

Fred
Old 11-27-2007, 12:37 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Perspective correction should be permitted for those who don't have cameras with that capability.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:32 PM

Welcome to the 21st Century!!! As for myself, I belong to a local camera club in the New York Metro area that has around 100 members. We have competitions once a month which are highly competitive. This discussion was brought-up in the past and the feeling was...we are artist,and as such, we are creating art. To limit one's abilities to not being able to make there photo be all that it can be, are we not limiting our artistic freedom? For me shots right out of the camera are dull and most need some post processing on some level. Do you want great shots posted here or so so shots? If your not well versed in the use of photoshop or other applications, take the time to learn...its to your benefit is it not? Its not like there's money at stake here.

See more of my photos at my website: www.MikeDiRenzoPhotography.com