Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Film Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 09-15-2018, 01:50 AM

Default Finally 100% control of my processing

I am officially 100% self sufficient for all of my film needs. I do all of my Black and White Processing and Printing, E6 developing and the last step my color developing and printig.

Is it cheaper? I don't know as this was not a major factor in my decision.

Then why did I do it?

TOTAL CONTROL OVER THE FINAL PRODUCT.

My problems started when I never knew what I would get back from any of the labs I used. I didn't need or want digital images. When i need digital images inuse my dslr. Frankly the ones they did were never very good.

I did not like the condition of the negatives. I was not a fan of the prints. Frankly I just wasn't happy.

Now my Black and White skills are darn good in fact better than any lab I ever used.

My E6 was a surprise to me, so simple and I couldn't beleive I was not doing this years ago.

Color prints. I develop great negatives. Printing, let's just say I'm getting better. However my scans are leaps and bounds better than any lab.

The down side.

Time, did I say time. Yes my weekend evenings are shot. The main reason is i do not have my darkroom built yet. Mine has to be set up then taken down each evening. I need space so I have to use the kitchen.

Let's just say I'm having fun.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:41 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I've gone digital for much the same reason: complete control. The Epson P800 cost $900, and guzzled over $700 worth of ink in the past year and a half while producing over a thousand prints from small to 16x20. I can make a small print to check color and the darkest and lightest tones before doing the big final print. Quick feedback is also a great teaching tool. The histogram is even more useful than ever before. Small test prints before settling on the final print surface is also convenient. The Epson even serves as an occasional backup for a cheap Brother laser printer.

I miss the quality that B&W film is capable of, but not the hassle of spotting big prints. Also, over the years I've had a few B&W prints fail. The better digital printers are consistent. Data from wilhelm-research.com suggests that only the most meticulous darkroom work might last longer. I also miss using quality machinery such as Nikon and Leica film cameras. I didn't have to upgrade the Leica once in the 40 years I used it. That body cost $200 new. Digital bodies cost a lot more than $5 a year!
Old 09-15-2018, 03:59 PM

Nothing wrong with digital. Just boring reminds me of a mindless office worker sitting for hours over a keyboard staring at a screen. I do it for all my dslr but never enjoy it.

Much prefer the freedom of movement and working with my hands.

In any event each their own.

When I developed my first e6 I felt like a kid at Christmas. I said to myself I actually created it and then it separated me instantly from most other photographers today. I mean I am out of the norm no longer a follower my work is different it has my personal stamp on it.

I feel the same way about doing my Black and White. It is about being unique, different offering something others can't. It's not about simple, cost, following the leader.

When I have no passion and just want to get the print I skip back to my dslr and Photoshop. Then I just become like everyone else and that's cool.

"There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer."

My goal is to make things others can't.

"YOU don't take a photograph, you make it."

My goal is to have a control others can not offer.

"Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is creative art."

The darkroom has given me an edge to be different and create art others can not duplicate.

Quotes by AA of course followed by my interpretations
Old 09-16-2018, 12:57 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Digital image capture and processing is so efficient. This is valuable for commercial photographers. I'm not one, but much of my photography is pro bono for schools. The efficiency lets me do more in less time. Last night I photographed the home town High School football game. It took only an hour to cull out the worst half of almost 300 shots, and perhaps the same to burn maybe 10 CDs to distribute to the school and others. That would have been more than an 8 reel tank of 35mm negatives, and over 60 8x10 sheets of paper if I offered contact strips. There is no way I'll go back to doing that for free. Of course I would have skimped on film. With the DSLR, a thousand frames cost no more than a dozen. Since I ask for no payment, I can't pass on the cost of film and processing to others.

Of course film is still special. The full frame DSLRs are approaching 35mm film quality. However, it will be a while before affordable digital capture is as good as large format. Photography has survived many major changes. The Daguerreotypists could honestly claim that paper prints could never equal the beauty of a good Daguerreotype. Many wet plate photographers long resisted converting to film. Some dry plate photographers persisted for decades after film became reliable. When I was young, some said 35mm was too small to be taken seriously.

Such holdouts had mastered the art and craft of their media. I was a competent electronics man in the days of vacuum tubes, but inept with modern solid state contraptions. There was an art to working with vacuum tubes that is unnecessary with most digital devices. In my declining years, I'll forgo that art for the sake of efficiency. There are a few online forums such as http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php and http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/ that maintain the traditions of darkroom photography. I visit them rather than the digital photo sites. Sometimes looking back is more comfortable than rushing into the future.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:38 AM

We can't stop time that is for sure.

Why didn't I give up film when other dumped it for the digital future?

I don't know, call it a love, call it security, call it stupid like I said I don't know.

Now I wasn't blind I certainly went modern to. However I never stopped the film.

I can tell you when the big change happened I cleaned up big time on darkroom supplies , equipment and cameras big time for pennies on the dollars.

In fact I bought so much i ran out of storage space. The weird thing I have sold a lot of the extra recently for far and and I mean far more than I bought if for.

Who knew film would have another crazy life in its future and trust me it is bigger the what you think. No digital isn't going to slow down but for now film has a second growing life. How long will it last who knows I am getting to the age that I know it will be here for my lifetime.

APUG is ok im on it just under another name. I'm pretty active.