Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Tutorials/Articles/Reviews
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Tutorials/Articles/Reviews Post a Tutorial/Article/Review of a Photographic item here.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Member & Donator

Send a message via AIM to BillB
Default Create an Orb Effect

This effect comes from Wendy Williams and can be used to create an orb using one of your photos. The instructions are based on PhotoShop Elements but should be easy enough to convert to another editor.

Select one of your photos and crop it into a square. Then follow the next four steps:

1. From the Filter menu, apply Distort>Polar Coordinates
2. In the Polar Coordinates dialog, click the radio button marked "Polar to Rectangular" then click OK
3. From the Image menu, select Rotate>180
4. Apply the Polar Coordinates filter again, only this time click "Rectangular to Polar".

Attached below is a before and after.

IMG_0026-web.jpg

purple-orb-web.jpg

Two other examples are in my gallery here and here

http://billbarberphoto.com

Old 09-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Very cool! Most photos that have had the polar filter used on them look just plain wild with little or no resemblance to the original image. I love how this looks like one of those quaint paper weight globes I used to see in gift shops years ago. Thanks for including the instructions too.

Barbara
Old 09-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Senior Member & Donator

It is suppossed to look like what you would see in one of those "gazing balls" some people put in their flower gardens.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2009, 02:46 AM
Administrator

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how you'd done it when I saw the shots in the gallery. Cool job! I'm glad it's doable with Elements, too.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 09-27-2009, 04:42 AM

I thought that was what you were doing to get the effect shown in your images. I've actually started messing around with the polar coordinates effect for about two weeks in an attempt to make mini-planets. As soon as I create my little world I’ll post it here on Chimps. Here's the link that got me interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weavingmajor/202855657/

You can also search in Google using the term "mini-planets" then click on the images link. You'll see some crazy stuff out there. I think it would make an awesome contest for us here on Chimps. Hint, hint, hint!!!!

I found that in Photoshop using a 360-degree panoramic image flipped 180-degrees and placed upside-down at the top of a square canvas produces some mind blowing results with the polar coordinates effect. The size of the canvas should be the width of your panorama squared.

Give her a try!

Last edited by shutterman; 09-27-2009 at 04:45 AM..
Old 09-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Member & Donator

Thanks all! I just posted a few more in my gallery for some different looks. No more - I'll stop here. It can be addicting however!