Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > The Critique section > Critique my Photograph(s)
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Critique my Photograph(s) For those that need/want some discussion on their photograph(s).

Old 07-17-2012, 11:52 PM

Default The Jeep

Here is my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. Also here is an example of how most people take a photo of their own new family car. Boring straight center shot, washed out sky, nothing says, hey nice photo. Yet when I look through our own gallery I see photos like this on just about any subject. I must have taken them too, I can get pretty boring at times.

So what would you do different? Critique this poor photo and lets hear some of your ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeep712.jpg (69.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Johndeere; 07-17-2012 at 11:55 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Good exposure and nice use of a low camera position. The lack of detail in the sky and the plain background doesn't bother me as much as the use of a fairly wide angle lens with perspective distortion. A long lens should give more pleasing results, and provide more control over the background.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM

I like the color saturation and the tone on the body of the jeep, and the sharp focus makes the tire treads really pop.

The perspective distortion doesn't bother me at all but the washed out sky does. The photo might have been a little more interesting if you had shot a bit more from the right to get more of the front end; looks like there might be some interesting detail there.

In TV and print ads they often show the car on a wet surface, you might try flooding the road the next time.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM

I'm surprised is our viewership down that much or is the a very boring topic or we just don't like jeeps.

Go ahead and rip into this one that is why I posted it. It can be done better and more interesting, You can even post you own examples of how you photograph the family car.

I personally thing it is a stinky every day run of the mill photo that doesn't say anything. Lets make it bold, interesting and stand out form the average photo. That is when things get fun when you start playing with a photo.

Oh well I will give it some time.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Ok so maybe it is the jeep that is a boring subject. Well I won't stop pushing you to do something in this thread. Here is a difference approach, may not be a great photo but it is different. So push it be creative. It is so easy to be common or copy others style of work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fly.jpg (46.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-21-2012, 02:20 AM

This one is boring, and does not have a full range of tones extending anywhere near a pure white. At first glance I didn't miss the pure whites; they aren't as important in color as in B&W.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hey, I tried to post from my iPhone, but it wouldn't keep me logged in (maybe I need to look at Tapatalk).
So - in the first shot, the sky really bothers me. A good blue sky made better with a polarizer would make the red of the Jeep pop much better. I think a different angle would help as well. I usually try to shoot cars with more of the front end showing - it makes them look a little more fierce.

In the second shot, I'd prefer to see more in focus closer to the viewer. I don't need all of it in focus, but it seems to be just the back half that's focused and that bothers me more than if a slice in the middle was.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-22-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
. . . it makes them look a little more fierce. . . . .

Ah, Bethe, I assume you're still driving a Mustang!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
Ah, Bethe, I assume you're still driving a Mustang!
I still have it, but I've been driving the (ulp) 4 cyl hybrid Escape - it holds a lot and gets 30mpg. But I still have a thing for cars.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to atulli Send a message via Yahoo to atulli
Default Jeep it up

No photo of a 4x4 should be taken on a driveway. Go find a nice diry trail and park it at the top of a hill hopefully with a nice wild backdrop.