Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > The Critique section > Critique my Photograph(s)
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Critique my Photograph(s) For those that need/want some discussion on their photograph(s).

Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 PM

Default Light Test

Things are taking shape-
Taken this morning, my first half day in the studio trying to put all the pieces together and figure out where everything goes. I had to use the self timer for these, so it was a bit unruly, as in adjust the light, trip the shutter, get into place, watch the count down, hold still, shoot taken, go review and adjust accordingly. Needless to say I got a bit fed-up kind of quick. I am not really interested in the comp or pose, I was playing really. I am wondering more about the light. As in too much too little etc… I am waiting on my light meter, but for now I have to do it the hard way-

(oh yeah, the only PS was in the raw viewer, mainly contrast. Then a bit of unsharp mask, that was it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg twolight-test.jpg (74.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 AM
Senior Member & Contributor

LIghting is good soft shadow but In my opinion a little too much contrast.
Very nice light possitioning and very sharp
You might want to spend a few pounds on a electric quick release
Old 02-12-2010, 04:41 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

The lighting on the subject is too even for my taste. Experiment with one or even two stops difference between the light falling on each side of the subject. Also, try having the lights more to the side and less to the front. When you see a portrait that you really like, analyze the light setup. Different people require changes in the lighting. The clothing also makes a difference. It can be difficult to hold detail in black or white clothes. Once you can consistantly get the results you like, you may find you rarely need a meter.

Nice chair and background! You should get good use out of both.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Thanks lads, two different views of it, but the same as I was thinking my self. Its good to hear it from other people- I forgot to mention that I do have a timed cable release I was just to lazy to type that part of the set up yesterday. I reckon that I should make a few DIY reflectors to make up for the lack of space, and hopefully that will help with a one light set up. I'm glad you like the chair Jim, its my favorite part so far.