Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > The Critique section > Critique my Photograph(s)
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Critique my Photograph(s) For those that need/want some discussion on their photograph(s).

Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Senior Member & Donator

Send a message via AIM to BillB
Default Charleston Church

During a recent outing with some other local photo enthusiasts, we found our way to old downtown Charleston (SC). I wanted to shoot the St Philips Episcopal Church but it was a gloomy, dark, heavily clouded day. I decided to give it a go anyway. I wasn't too displeased with the outcome but hated the sky so I tried something I have not tried before - I replaced the sky. Whatcha think?

http://billbarberphoto.com

Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

While the buildings seem to show signs of dodging and perhaps burning, I wouldn't have noticed that the sky had been replaced if you hadn't mentioned it. You chose a good arrangement of clouds for this transplant.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Senior Member & Contributor

Nice substitution work. My quick take on it is that it looks HDR'd. Perhaps if there was more contrast to the sides of the buildings facing away from the stronger light, the sky substitution might be more effective. The even light across the steeple makes it look flat to me. I wonder if you might want to pick a sky with more visual interest.

Mike

Last edited by photomao; 02-01-2010 at 03:44 PM..
Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 AM

the steeple looks a little bit soft to me... I agree with photomao in that respect. I think that the sky is very well done. The only thing I might do is add a couple more clouds in the upper left hand corner to balance out the sky a little more. I like the way you have the tower surrounded in a sort of spiral though.