Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > The Business of Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

The Business of Photography Any thing that has to do with the business of Photography.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Administrator

Default Keeping track of what's where?

I'm in two local groups that have shows here and there and have recently gotten into another. Sometimes there are opportunities for solo shows or close to solo. Is there software or something easy to keep track of what is where? I'd like to avoid Excel if possible, because I really just don't get along well with it.
I'd like to be able to see what I had in any show two years ago as well as what is there now. I also like seeing the dates, so maybe even being able to see it as a calendar would be helpful (sometimes two shows will overlap). I know that any system is only as good as the input and that's where mine will likely break down. But does anyone have any good suggestions?

www.ewfisher.com
Old 11-28-2012, 01:53 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

My camera club has an annual group exhibit which requires a form listing the entries. This form on my computer gives me a record which never gets deleted except by accident. The six prints at another recently finished group exhibit are still at the gallery to be picked up sometime. I could maybe sort recent prints of that size by date on the computer and determine which images they are. It's better to find out when I pick them up, like opening a Christmas gift.

A good way to keep a complete description of what prints are at what exhibit is to start a cumulative list, including awards, on the computer. One may never need the information, but it is handy if a question ever arises. For Bethe, someday someone may want to compile a biography in which a complete list of exhibits and awards would be a welcome addition. In the 1978-1979 open stacks at the University of Iowa, British photo magazines had several submissions by Edward Weston and his partner Margrethe Mather that no biographer of the time had mentioned. One even had a poem Weston wrote lambasting the gum bichromate printers of the time. One wonders what he would have said about mordancage! Cole Weston had never heard of the poem, so I sent him a copy. Later biographers did mention it.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
One even had a poem Weston wrote lambasting the gum bichromate printers of the time. One wonders what he would have said about mordancage!
I wouldn't want to think about it! I do really like his work, however. And I've tried gum.

My biggest problem is that I only get organized in short spurts. I realized I need something when I'd picked up prints from one photo club show and then received an e-mail that there was still another one there. And the club does a show at a local garden center (that doesn't seem to have much to do with gardens and is where the local orchestra practices) and I've had the same things there a couple of times now.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 11-29-2012, 12:11 AM

THE GUMMIST

EDWARD H. WESTON

With Apologies to Rudyard Kipling, Author of "The Vampire"

A "gummist' there was and he made his prayer
(Even as you and I!)
To some paint and some gum and a "badger-hair."
(We called his messing a daub "for fair")
But the "gummist" he called it his "art-work" rare
((even as you and I!)

O, the paint we did waste and the "tears" we did waste
And the prints that were always "slammed,"
By "would-be" critics who did not know
(And now we know that they never could know)
And did not understand.

A "gummist" there was and his coin he spent
(Even as you and I!)
Paper and paint to his last red cent
(While his land-lady dunned him for "past-due" rent)
(Even as you and I!)

O, the stain we got, and the flaky spot
And the bubble we cheerfully damned,
Belong to the day when we didn't know why
The stock-house welcomed our efforts to buy
But now we understand!

The "gummist" he sweat through his foolish hide
(Even as you and I!)
While the highlights he scrubbed till they almost cried--
(With a bristle-brush none to softly applied)
When the print was "done," friends threw it aside
(Even as you and I!)

And it isn't the worst that his feelings at first
Should a little calming demand--
It's coming to know that folks never knew why
(Such doping and faking a "gummist" should try)
And never could understand.

I don't have the publication citation at the moment, but believe it was a British photo magazine around 1920. The even numbered paragraphs were indented and in italics in the original.

Weston has several photos published in British magazines. It may have been coincidence that he rarely appeared in them after his partner Margrethe Mather got greater praise for her photos.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Administrator

That's a good one and somewhat more funny if you've tried gum printing.
I have a book on Mather and Weston and it seems like they had an odd relationship (as he might have with most of his women). I do prefer his photos over Adams much of the time, but I also like some by Friedlander, Arbus, Uelsmann, and other fairly disparate artists. I'd guess each has their own very individual opinion about various photographic techniques.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 11-29-2012, 01:41 AM

I have a biography on Arbus you're welcome to. It's as depressing as some of her photos. Poor little rich girl!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
I have a biography on Arbus you're welcome to. It's as depressing as some of her photos. Poor little rich girl!
I got someone to buy me the really thick one a few years ago - is that the one you mean? I actually read through the whole thing. I do have to agree. I'd also guess she had some sort of undiagnosed chemical imbalance (they have come a long way on research with that stuff since the 70s). I haven't decided if I like her work more or less since reading the book.
One thing I learned that I hadn't known was that she was married to the guy who played the psychiatrist, Sidney, on MASH. I LOVED when his character showed up - those episodes were some of my favorites.

www.ewfisher.com