Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > The Business of Photography
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

The Business of Photography Any thing that has to do with the business of Photography.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:54 AM

Default Package Prices

Everything is moving along quite swiftly. So now I am trying to figure out all my prices. I am aware that I will have to be reasonable, but still give an (hopefully) above average product. I am thinking of having a package of: four 5x7's, and two 8x10's. They will all by mounted and bagged, with the option of framing the 8x10's. I have done a bit of research, and the frames in this part of the world vary from €20-€45 for an 11x14. I also have to take into account a sitting fee, post work labor and the framing fee if the clients choose so. My first plan was to charge €95 for the whole lot, ie: 2 framed photos, 4 mounted/bagged photos, plus sitting and post labor fees. I think it sounds a bit low when I think about it. But I reckon that if I charge more than €100 people may think its a bit too much to spend. My only other thought is that, €95 for the photos, and if frames are requested, add on an additional fee…? I will also have to be a bit flexible with everything, to suit different peoples needs and wants. Thanks in advance

Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Administrator

I'd suggest offering a package or two that are a good deal and then offering several sizes a la carte. Some people won't want what's in the package, but some will want the deal they get by ordering a package.
Sorry I can't really help on actual prices - much of that depends on your area.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 01-25-2010, 02:03 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I agree with Bethe.

The cost of frames seems a bit high. The current price of the 16x20 aluminum frames I use is $12.98 at http://framefit.com/. Their least expensive 11x14 is $10.23. This is for the complete frame with all necessary hardware, but no mat or glass. I use window glass purchased locally, and usually cut my own mats. For small photos, inexpensive Walmart frames suffice. Buying in quantity is convenient and saves money. Offering only a few sizes of frames at most (except for special orders) is another money saver. Having a supply of matting and framing material on hand is great for rush orders.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks Bethe and Jim. Sorry I think that in rereading my post, I could have explained it a bit better. So I will give it a go now: The bags, mounts and frames, are all supplied from one company. The will be cut to spec's. He can do any size, but there is a few days to the order complete, which is why I was thinking of having "fixed" sizes. To begin with at least. As for the price of the frames the €20-45 I quoted is the cost of custom made frames. I can get 11x14's frames for €9.99. And the company offers deals as in the more you buy the the bigger the discount. They will ship with backing board and glass, and I will have the the mounts ready to go. I will have no problem doing any size that the customers want, they are always right after all. I am just a bit confused because of all my research done in Galway, as shown that every other studio is very varied in the prices and products. I am sure that as time goes on it will figure its self out. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Consider a minimum charge you would want to apply to any request. Consider asking for a 1/3, up front fee, as well. I have had people ask for one 5x7. I believe their intention is to scan it and make larger prints. I have also worked on image requests only to have the customer fail to show up to pay, leaving me stuck with considerable effort and no reward.

Consider charging for enlargements based on your minimum charge and calculating by square inch as the prints get larger. For example:

Fred
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prices.jpg (53.7 KB, 8 views)