Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > General Photography Discussions
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 05-29-2017, 12:23 AM

Default Photography at Warp Speed

Photography has changed since I first clicked a shutter. However most other things have done the same thing. A little late but I still was not surprised to see Pop Photo is no more. They lost me about 8 years ago. It was around that point in time they offered my no reason to continue my subscription. I can't put my finger on the exact reason they lost me. But something changed an I moved forward. Thinking back the one large reason I had the magazine was for the B&H and other adds. Way back I found the articles informative and interesting filled with content. But they lost that. They failed to understand the digital move in more ways than one. They just didn't understand the warp speed that photography was in and still is. The once go to source for the everyday photographer became dated and just so off target that they lost their following. As funny as it sounds the one thing they did right was their forum. Well untill they even messed that up. I once said photography as we know it would be surpassed by camera phones, an extreme drop in printing, and the free more detailed info on the web. So in the end they made far to many mistakes but then again they just might be the victim of photography in warp speed. They were just to slow to react to this.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 AM

In the 70s I subscribed to no less than four different photography magazines, but not all at the same time. I remember Pop Photo , some outdoor magazine that I didn't subscribe to, something by Petersen (son?), Photo World, and a couple of others (one seemed geared toward professionals and the other was more art related than "how to".

Except for Pop Photo and the outdoor one, they all seemed to come and go during the 70s. I didn't consider myself an amateur photographer, just wanted to learn about equipment and the basics so my family and friends photo would look nice. After a few years of subscribing to the magazines I notice a trend where they seemed to repeat the same how to stories every 18 months or so and course each calendar year there was a story on how to photograph your Christmas tree and outdoor lights, how to photograph your Halloween jack-o'-lantern, how to take photos on the beach, and how to photograph fireworks.

I find it interesting that if you go to a good newsstand chance are you'll find several photo magazines but they are all published in the U.K.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:21 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I still subscribe to the American magazine, Black & White. It is all photographs and a little editorial writing with few ads. Printing quality is much better than the photo magazines of a few decades ago.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:58 AM

I think PopPhoto lost their way when Herb Keppler died. I always enjoyed his articles.

Outdoor Photographer and Shutterbug are the two magazines I subscribe to, although I oftern wonder why.