Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > General Photography Discussions
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 07-05-2016, 02:13 PM

Default Camera in hand again

Life has taken some defining turns since this past October. But it was due to something I missed over the past several years that was to put a camera back in my hands again. My youngest had three unique things that I had missed while being so wrapped up in doing my ztuff, coaching basketball 12 months a year.

First how did I miss this one, she is an accomplished artist. I never knew or should I say I never took the time to notice. She loves to hike the harder and steeper and more importantly off trail it is the more she enjoys it. The last she has taken far more photos than I have all with an I Phone.

I got lucky and I woke up. My daughter and I had two gifts that we shared hiking and photography. Last month I gave her my dslr and told her just explore the camera. I didn't give her any direction other than a basic how to use the camera. I wanted to see what her interests where. I learned a lot especially what she really liked to photograph. Her collection was full of landscapes such as sunsets, trees, anything water, flowers and then a unique way to view the little things in a way I never could.

This gave me a base on what I needed to teach her. How to improve her sunsets etc. These were the technical parts of photography she had everything else perfect.

We combined everything into one long amazing day photographing 21 waterfalls at Rickets Glenn over the 4th. This was by no means a easy shoot. We had to get up at 4 am and drive just over 3 hours. The trail was narrow involved hiking down a steep mountain where one creek met the other then back up the other creek. We took 6 hours to photograph all the falls on the trail. I taught her how to get that fluffy technical look to the water and she taught me Bout composition. Yes being the gear head I knew the ins and outs of photography but her being the artist finally made me a photographer.

Teaching each other on the job resulted in the best photographs I ever had taken. She had the part I was missing and beleive me I took the time to learn.

I have just short window left for the both of us. Time together is running out. I'm getting older she is going back to school. However I am learning how to see photographs in a way I never did prior.

I like having a camera back in my hand and my daughter has found places to photograph that are new to me. In addition I had to learn how to photograph new subjects. For example I never once shot waterfalls. I knew what needed to be done that is the technical side of me. But putting that all into practice was new.

I really would like to put together a small group to go out and photograph Rickets Glenn. I think this is something I am going to try and do. If your into waterfalls you have to go.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:05 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

As Oscar Hammerstein wrote, ". . . by your pupils you'll be taught." Welcome back. Lets see the photos both of you are taking now.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:21 PM

Just one I like with a lot wrong but at a 5 sec exposure not so bad. Thought I would give you a sense of the day. It is going to take me some time to get the photos ready. Working with new PSCC is a pain but then again I was slow in the darkroom. Thus one that i just like for no other reason than it represents the day.

If I ever get the rest done I will post them later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg experiment 1.jpg (72.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-08-2016, 03:30 AM
Administrator

AWESOME! Ricketts Glen is such a cool place. The only time I went there was for Botany class in college. I had a camera with me, but no tripod and no clue. And a professor who insisted on us paying attention to the plants instead of the falls and everything else.
I'm very happy you've gotten back in touch with photography! I know it's tough to find time to hang with your daughters now. Just when they start becoming "people" it's time to send them out to the world. I see that already with my 6 year old.

I hope you're doing well, too. I'm back in PA, so if you have time to go shoot, give a holler. I'll be more free after school starts, too.

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-08-2016, 04:02 AM

I want to go back when there is some more water. I might be close to you this weekend at Ohio Plyle. Just depends if I get up early. Would like to do all the op falls some day.

I have my mind made up to finally figure out lightroom and pscc this year. I so do hate post processing.

You should take a trip out to RG with me this fall. I think that might be a good time. Though leaving at 4 am is rough.

I lost my darkroom since we moved my mom in.