Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > General Photography Discussions
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Register Members List

Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Administrator

Default Revisiting old photos?

Does anyone else look back on photos they took years ago (any number of years) and wish they could redo them with your current knowledge? I know I do. Granted, there are some I did years ago that I'd never change as well. But a photo posted elsewhere reminded me of this one - http://www.photochimps.com/pp/showph...stream&cat=500 - that I'd really love to revisit. I only took the one shot (on slide film) and I wish I'd done a few different versions with different DOFs and overall exposure. I wasn't great at exposing slide film then, so it really doesn't project well (yay for scanners).
I know I can't go back there easily and have the right conditions to redo it. But does the realization of what I did wrong the first time at least help to remind me to get it right next time?

www.ewfisher.com
Old 10-17-2013, 04:01 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Some of my favorite photos from long ago don't look so good now with decades of experience. Yet, I still often neglect to make the extra effort to do the best I can.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 PM

I do have a couple that I'd like to revisit, different time of day, with a tripod, etc, but mostly I have a number of photos that I wish I could re-edit. I think my editing skills have improved quite a bit during the past 24 mos or so as I've learned new tools in my software and how to better use some of the ones I already knew.

Problem is I didn't start saving the out-of-camera original files until about 18 months ago. I have re-edited some pictures but for some my original edit was such that trying to do anything would make it worse. Would probably end up like that poor old lady in Italy who tried to correct the church painting and ended up with what the press called a monkey Jesus.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 AM
Senior Member & Contributor

Any time I scan an old negative or slide, I take the opportunity to try to bring it up to my current standards, or at least try to do so. When I first bought a film scanner I thought that I had plenty of good material, but soon realized I didn't know what I was doing in those early days! Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 AM

Yes, Sometimes I go back to my first digital, or even my scans. Ansel changed how he viewed his pictures. I saw one of his early Moon rise photos, and I had the privilege of seeing one of his latter ones. A world of difference. A world.

You always change. You think different. You know more tricks in processing. Or maybe you have just grown a little bit more. But you do change, why shouldn't your pictures change. It is no affront to anyone if you can make one of your old pictures better.

You might see a gem that you missed. I know that I have.

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust
Old 08-12-2014, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to SST_Defiant^ED^ Send a message via Yahoo to SST_Defiant^ED^

Funny thing is, my pictures were better then compared to the present...
Old 08-12-2014, 10:15 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

Yes, when the newness wears off, we can become too complacent. Also, in later years we don't have the energy of our youth.