Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Post-processing your photographs
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Post-processing your photographs Questions/comments related to post-processing

Old 07-24-2012, 12:49 AM

Default Realistic software for post processing

As the title states realistic software for post processing. I know full blown Photoshop such as CS6 is talked about as being the best but at $700 it is not a realistic option.

So lets toss this out as an option. As post processing is a key to improving you final digital image just as the wet darkroom what are some other good options.

While I do in fact use PS CS2 and 7 I would not invest the money into buying PS. Great software but the price is not right.

I really liked Nikon Capture NX but again this really works well for Nikon users.

I haven't used any of the low end products in years so I really don't have a recommendation that would be good.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 AM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

PSE 7 does everything I really need. Versions from 4 and up are almost as good for me. Irfanview is free, and very fast for those jobs it can do. Just tonight I used it to imprint file numbers on 14 8.5x11 prints. It may be intended more as an image viewer, and is great for that. I had Picture Window Pro on my last computer because of its 16 bit capability, but haven't tried transfering it to this computer yet. GIMP is free and fairly powerful, but PSE 7 is more familiar and thus easier to use.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Administrator

I'll agree with Jim on this one. I haven't tried Gimp or IRfanview, but those usually get good reviews and are heavily suggested when people look for something free. I used just PSE 4.0 for years (it came with either my scanner or my Wacom tablet) and was fine. I got CS5 only because I could use a student ID that got it down under $300 and I needed something that could handle the RAW files from my Pentax K-7 (PSE 4 wasn't being upgraded/supported far enough).
Being a Mac user, I'm not sure if both Gimp and Irfanview work with them? But I think there's something else that does - never used it and can't remember the name.
Someone I know has just started using Lightroom 4 and LOVES it. It's a little cheaper than CS5/6 and does more than PSE (I think).

www.ewfisher.com
Old 07-24-2012, 03:02 AM

I use Corel Paint Shop Photo Pro X3. Cheap compared to Adobe CSx and about same price as Photo Shop Elements. I have PSE also but rarely use it as seems to me that Paint Shop Pro has features. Paint Shop handles raw, has an HDR function, all the basics such as contrast/brightness, sharp, unsharp, etc. Also has about six different types of layers, vector, mask, adjustment, raster.

Only thing I don't like about it compared to PSE is that if you want to save in .tif, EXIF is not save unless you save as uncompressed. I'm pretty sure you can down load a trial version.

I've read some reviews about the new Lightroom v4. They all seem to agree it is a great program, considerable step up from v3, and price drop. It doesn't have as many tools though as a full fledge editing program.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 PM

Default Lightroom 4

IS anyone using Lightroom 4. I'm looking for something other than A full blown PS program.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to atulli Send a message via Yahoo to atulli
Default lr3

I use lightroom 3 & cs4 I dont want to update untill I get a newer computer. Since I started using lightroom I use photoshop only for major creative project images and lightroom for all basic edits.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM

I really like what I have read about lightroom. I just might buy this program yet. I just want something easy more more than the Elements program. Something the family can use with needed a Masters Degree.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:00 AM

Ok it has taken me one year to buy my next post processing software. I settled on Lighthouse 5. Just one little problem. You know that section on system requirements? I should have read it.

I missed the small print that stated it dos not work on Windows XP. Thus I am left to upgrade Windows or buy new. Thus this upgrade in post processing is still going to be expensive. I am just going to buy another PC since mine is ten years old.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:53 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

I found Windows XP to be by far the best version of Windows. When my XP computer developed problems, I bought a cheap e-machine with Windows 7. I'm not happy with either, but have heard bad things about Windows 8, too. Alas, progress! I did have a program called (as I recall) Picture Window on the XP machine. Its main advantage was 16 and 48 bit capability, nice for some scans of LF negatives that needed heavy handed editing. Otherwise, it was a memory hog and a bit clunky.

Last edited by Jim Jones; 07-28-2013 at 01:57 PM..
Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Try to find a new computer that has, or that you can have switched to Windows 7. I haven't used Windows 8 personally, but know some folks who have and they hate it. (a strong word but from the comments I've heard appropriate) Online reviews concur. It is my understanding that the response to it has been so bad that Microsoft will be releasing a modified version, Windows Blue, in August. I've read that some PC manufacturers are refusing to install 8 on their new machines so you may be able to find one with Windows 7. In any event, I have used Lightroom since it was first released and think it is hands down the best photography processing software out there. I predict you'll love it. It has made Photoshop a completely unnecessary luxury for straight post processing of images.