Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Post-processing your photographs
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Post-processing your photographs Questions/comments related to post-processing

Old 11-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Question Adobe Camera RAW users...

For you folks using ACR, how many are using or at least have tried the graduated filter? I have version 5.3, but I think it is also available in version 5.0. For those of you not familiar with it, it acts like a digital NG filter and you apply it while adjusting your RAW file. I've just started playing around with it and think in certain circumstances, it will be quite useful. Does Lightroom have a similar RAW tool?

I'm interested in hearing about others' thoughts and experiences using a digital ND grad filter in ACR or other RAW converters. Some of you may use something similar in other programs...your thoughts would be appreciated, too.

I think it's still better to use a ND grad on the camera, but sometimes it just isn't convenient or possible, so a digital ND grad, if it works like a ND grad on camera would convenient and maybe even useful.

Barbara
Old 11-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Is this a CS4 thing? I am working off of 3, and shoot almost everything raw and I am pretty sure I don't have thatů
Old 11-07-2009, 10:16 PM

I just checked and ACR version 5 and later doesn't work with CS3 so upgrading isn't an option.
Here's a link to a discussion on the local adjustments function (including grads) that were introduced with ACR 5. http://www.photoshopcafe.com/cs4/cameraraw.htm For me, the additions made to ACR 5 are what makes CS4 a big improvement over CS3. Of course, we had to upgrade to CS4-ACR 5.3 anyways because a couple of our cameras weren't supported by CS3.

Barbara
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Daredevil Send a message via MSN to Daredevil

Like Pathography, I'm working in CS3 & don't have the new ACR capability.

I guess its a good thing I have Lightroom for RAW processing if and when I update my cameras. It really sucks that Adobe is forcing upgrades just so that photographers can actually use a camera feature. I doubt there's a technical reason why ACR 5+ won't work with CS3 since the code base is pretty similar.