Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Post-processing your photographs
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Post-processing your photographs Questions/comments related to post-processing

Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 AM

W-8 is a big departure from W-XP. For me it is to far from what I want for an operating system. It is really set up for a touch screen operation.

I need something to run Lighthouse and W-7 has crossed my mind along with just making the move to MAC.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 PM

I'm going to have to back up some. Took a look at W-8 today. It is pretty slick I don't see what all the talk is about. My 17 year old had it down pat in about 30 secs.

I'm still shopping but I don't think windows 8 will be a problem at all. Heck with just one click I can get the old desk top look back.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:05 PM

I have used lightroom since it was first released in 2007 and cost twice what it does now. I have used Photoshop as well since 2009. I have experimented with elements and every other freeware photo editor I have found during that time. In my opinion Lightroom is far and above all for photo processing without compositing.

It is much less complicated and easier to learn than Photoshop or Elements. Lightroom5 now sells for around $130, Lightroom 4 is still available for around $100 and except for some unnecessary bells and whistles is as good as Lightroom 5 . For post-processing without compositing and graphic arts work Photoshop is a waste of money. For just post processing there is nothing that can be done in Photoshop or Camera Raw (this ships with PS) that can not be done in Lightroom. For HDR and Pano composites there are plugins available for Lightroom and the total cost including plugins is still 25-35% of the full Photoshop program. Elements lacks some of the capabilities of Lightroom and in my opinion is considerably more difficult to learn to use effectively than LR. It is less expensive at $60 and would be my second choice.

Photoshop is THE program for graphic arts and combining multiple programs together. But for the processing of RAW images it has nothing over Lightroom 4 and 5. Just my passionate but humble opinion. (JMPBHO)
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
I'll agree with Jim on this one. I haven't tried Gimp or IRfanview, but those usually get good reviews and are heavily suggested when people look for something free. I used just PSE 4.0 for years (it came with either my scanner or my Wacom tablet) and was fine. I got CS5 only because I could use a student ID that got it down under $300 and I needed something that could handle the RAW files from my Pentax K-7 (PSE 4 wasn't being upgraded/supported far enough).
Being a Mac user, I'm not sure if both Gimp and Irfanview work with them? But I think there's something else that does - never used it and can't remember the name.
Someone I know has just started using Lightroom 4 and LOVES it. It's a little cheaper than CS5/6 and does more than PSE (I think).

This is a bit of a technical point, but Photoshop does not process raw files. It interacts with a separate program, Adobe Camera Raw. This is only available along with PS.
Lightroom was originally a souped-up version of ACR. As far as I can tell, the two latest versions of ACR are now identical to Lightroom, as far as processing is concerned. Lightroom also has some awesome cataloging features. These all now seem to be available in Adobe Bridge. (this also comes with PS -I think there is a watered down version with PSE as well)

In my opinion the bottom line at this point is that if you composite and use Photoshop on your photos there is no reason to use Lightroom. If you do not composite (or only want to do HDR and panos) there is no reason to use Photoshop. There are no free processing programs that compare to the quality of results achieved in PS or LR. PSE would be my choice if LR was outside my budget.

Last edited by fbruckman; 09-17-2013 at 10:25 PM..