Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Photo Trivia & Other Fun Photography Stuff!
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Photo Trivia & Other Fun Photography Stuff! Check your knowledge on photography here and other Fun Photography Stuff.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 AM

Default Pentax - almost wasn't Pentax

In a little twist of fate the name Pentax was almost use in the late 1940's by another famous company for their line of cameras. In the end they choose another name.

This company is still a leader in cameras though with the more common name that we know. What company almost changed history by considering the name Pentax for their cameras first?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 PM
"Ye ole' wise one" & Contributor

The original and innovative Contax SLR? I had to cheat and use google to verify the name used on it.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Ok I had to double check my sources and you are technical correct because it appears the Pentax name was owned. In addition around 1947 what we now know as Nikon was considering naming their rangefinder line Pentax.

Good job JIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A later version of the Contax S, the Contax F, introduced the first auto-diaphragm M42 lens, with the pin-actuated diaphragm system that became the standard for Pentax and other later M42 cameras. In fact, even the Pentax name came from Zeiss-Ikon Dresden: when legal disputes with Z-I Stuttgart forced them to give up the Contax name in the 1950s, Z-I Dresden copyrighted two new names based on the "Pentaprism Contax" camera series: one of these was "Pentacon", which became the new name for the German SLRs, and the other was "Pentax", which they released to Asahi Optical Company of Japan to use as the new name for their Asahiflex camera line when they added a pentaprism viewfinder around 1957.

In