Photochimps.com

Go Back   Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels > Photography Discussions > Photo Trivia & Other Fun Photography Stuff!
Home FAQ's of PC Forums Gallery Contests Members List

Photo Trivia & Other Fun Photography Stuff! Check your knowledge on photography here and other Fun Photography Stuff.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:00 PM

Thumbs down Facebook (and Others) May Keep Your Deleted Photos

I just finished reading Facebook's Terms of Use in order to answer an email request inviting us to post some of our photos on a soon-to-be launched Facebook site when I found this. http://www.pcworld.com/article/16531...ed_photos.html

It's not so much about someone using/stealing those images, rather that someone important (like your boss?) might see those embarrassing or incriminating photos that either you or a friend foolishly posted on Facebook, that you had second thoughts about and assumed were deleted long ago. (I'm using 'you' as a generic and not thinking of anyone in particular. ) Hmmmm...
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to NJ.Murphy Send a message via Yahoo to NJ.Murphy

Well, the simple solution, of course, is to simply not put stupid (stuff) online in the first place.

I like Facebook, but only for keeping in touch and trading snarky comments. Two nights ago I spent half an hour chatting with a former cow-orker currently living in Seattle.

I like putting ridiculous non-sequitors into the 'What's on your mind?' space (ex.: In cliff diving there are only two levels: Grand Champion and Stuff on a Rock. Or: The eyes may be the windows to the soul, but you shouldn't clean them with any ammonia-based products. Or: It's not a good sign when the tooth fairy shows up with blood on her dress.) Things like this a fun conversation starters.

I refuse to take quizzes, participate in snowball fights or mafia wars, and I almost never join groups.

I do put pictures up, but usually it's birthday parties and things like that. I haven't put anything there that I think any current or future employer would find offensive.

There's one friend I have that I worry about; the 25 year-old daughter of a friend. She's got pictures up there that I'm embarrassed to see, and I don't embarrass easily. I feel for her dad.

It's all in how you use it. Wanna be my friend? Search there for 'Neil J Murphy'. My avatar is currently a shadow picture.