Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels

Photochimps.com the Photo Site for Photographers of All Skill Levels (http://www.photochimps.com/vb/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.photochimps.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Most Common Photo Mistakes And How To Fix Them (http://www.photochimps.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5862)

Todd 05-02-2008 02:51 AM

Most Common Photo Mistakes And How To Fix Them

Most Common Photo Mistakes by beginner photographers

Listed below will be our Chimps advise on
Most Common Photo Mistakes that they see by beginners. This thread works hand in hand with our thread Tips from the "Chimps".

* Composition, I find beginners dont understand or know the rules of thirds or just moving the subject off center.
- Ajazzyone - Todd

* Not understanding their camera and what it can/cant do. Read your manual and understand what each button does.
- Ajazzyone - Todd

Anyone else have more to add?

Jim Jones 05-02-2008 04:05 AM

Many photographers have little understanding of correctly exposing film. Some may also have trouble squeezing the tonal range of the subject onto digital media.

More factors are involved in using Depth Of Field than most photographers realize. DOF scales on lenses are misleading in many circumstances. So are DOF charts.

photomao 05-02-2008 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an example of a "shot gone wrong" I found in a box of photos from an estate sale. It cracked me up because I had seen a cartoon shooting guide where a park service trash can kept "sneaking" into the frame.

Aside from having bad aim, the shooter may not have checked the frame for distractions.

Mike

BER 05-02-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Jones (Post 39894)
Many photographers have little understanding of correctly exposing film. Some may also have trouble squeezing the tonal range of the subject onto digital media.

I agree with Jim: the new cameras today do a good job getting pretty good exposures most of the time--so good, maybe that newbies don't take the time to learn how to get good exposures or understand the differences between what the eye can see compared to what a sensor or film can capture.

Problem: blurry pictures from handholding when shutterspeeds slow

Solutions: Use a tripod or somehow brace the camera for low light or slow shutterspeeds. Or you could open up the aperture or increase the iso to get a higher shutterspeed.
A general guideline is 1/focal length to approximate how slow a shutter speed you can handhold and still get a sharp image. Some folks can handhold slower shutterspeeds and still get sharp shots, but that takes practice and good technique. Learn and use good technique to hold the camera steady when handholding shots. Use a tripod or brace the camera when the shutterspeed gets too slow.

jasonh 05-02-2008 09:29 PM

Fill The Frame.

Someone once said, "If your pictures are no good, you are probably too far away."

I can't remember who said it, maybe someone else here knows.

NJ.Murphy 05-04-2008 03:10 PM

Most Common Photo Mistakes by those who should know better:

My, what a lovely new hat you've got!

http://www.photochimps.com/pp/data/782/Light_Hat.jpg

(In my defense, the background was fairly dark, and the room was crowded.)

chaud 05-04-2008 04:06 PM

Neil, that should would be a good one for the "caption this" thread, I think.

Fred

up24x7 05-27-2008 06:54 PM

many beginners have the horizon crooked. i got tired of spending the time in photoshop to straighten my photos. I now take a few extra seconds and try to get it right when I take the photo.

photomao 05-27-2008 09:41 PM

I still get that every once in a while when I'm a little too excited and hammer the shutter button. Sometimes when I'm shooting something close I might not catch a crooked horizon until after the download. When I shot film I installed a viewscreen which had grid lines to help with alignment. Some digital cameras have grid lines you can turn on and off.

Mike

photomao 05-27-2008 09:53 PM

Don't know if this is the originator of the quote, but I found this while digging around. Mike

Tamron PROfessional Learning Center June 2005

Professional photographer Ralph Romaguera

Extrasensory Wedding Imagery

“If you don’t like your picture, you’re probably too far away,” he says. “Get in closer or use a longer lens.”